Coloring White Stoneware

When I add stain to make a colored body first I read the specs on the stain to see if it's for clay. (Get a Mason Stain Chart or a good Ceramic Supply Catalog that give you specs). I dry out my clay and measure out the quanity of I need then add 10% stain to start going up to 18% if needed. I add water to the mix, let it slake then mix it with electric drill w/mixing stirrer attached. Let the clay settle and decant. Put the stained clay on a plaster drying bat (or plaster wedging board) to dry to wedging consistancy. Wedge to the consitancy you want and use it. Depending how pure you want the color you may want to use new plaster bats for each color.

post-762-12716129273926_thumb.jpg

post-762-12716129273926_thumb.jpg

Plattypus - can you give us clay type and firing details? The firing temperature is extremely important to the final results - refer to my posting (see below)

Perhaps we can move this topic over to the clay/glaze forum? I've just posted a topic on this subject over there that will hopefully generate much useful information. Adminisrator?

If you go to my website ... www.ccpottery.com ... and look under murrinis and murrinis 2 you will find lots

of information about mixing stains into clay and how to produce a wide range of colors.

The lighter the colors the more stain you need ... for instance yellow and pink can take about

20% stain to get vibrant color while blues and dark greens only need 8-10%.

Also, the higher you fire the darker the colors become.

The Mason stain website has good information about which stains to use in clay bodies.

Archived