Newbie Bat Help?!

I am brand new to working on the wheel and have really been enjoying this humbling and rewarding process. I don't have the time to take a class at this point, so I am working in my basement at nights while my kids are in bed. I am still struggling with centering my clay and am wondering if the hop (up and down motion) in my bat could have any impact on this part of my learning? It seem like no matter what I do I can't get it to stop wobbling up and down. I have used some clay around the outside rim of the bat too..to no avail. I reseated my head (Shimpo Aspire) and there is no hop in the head. Could it be the pins are not level? Just want to make sure my struggles are my own :)

Thanks!

Glen

I bought some Speedball bats, for my classroom, a couple years ago. They have a slight up and down wobble. It can be a bit of an annoyance, for students, who can't yet tell the difference between a wobble from the bat, and not being centered.

In the end, it deosn't affect their work.

I wish I would have got some different bats, but I'm kind of pot comitted at this pint, and they do work well enough.

Best of luck in your journey into clay.

Some of My Speedball bats are are little warped and have a slight wobble but it doesn't effect how I center or throw. The problem might be your pins or a little bit of dried clay around them. Also make sure the underneath part of your bat is clean and resting neatly on the wheel head and not causing the hop.

Paul

Are the bat pins removable?  You really don't need to use bats at this stage, it might be easier to learn if you just throw on the wheel head.  At this stage you just cut off and recycle anything you've made or given up on.  I don't have any bat pins on my wheel, I just use a ring of clay to stick the bat in place.   Denice

I have never used bat pins, opting instead for a clay patty to attach bats to. I also only use bats for things like bowls with large overhangs and platters that are tricky to move while fresh. If you're still at the learning to centre stage, I agree that throwing right on the wheel head will be easier.

Glen I have the same issue with my Aspire. I have gotten used to it. Seems to simply be the nature of the beast. I also have some wobble when I use bats on the larger wheel, again I think thats just what happens using bats. I prefer to throw just on the wheel head when possible. However the Aspire requires the bat. Just keep practicing, it will all work out.

Ah, didn't pay enough attention to the wheel model before! Sorry about that.

Simon Leach does a product review of this wheel, and suggests between 9:20 and 9:30 that you drill the holes on the bat all the way through to get rid of the wobble. I don't get the impression he likes the plastic bats, either.

Also, if you haven't encounters Simon Leach, here you go :)

Archived