Confess. How Many Of You Colored Outside The Lines As A Child?

On 11/6/2018 at 1:34 AM, Rae Reich said:

Still painstakingly coloring and glazing inside the lines - but they're lines that l have drawn myself, usually. 

I always envied my friends who could approach glazing in that happy-go-lucky slapdash way and have brilliant, stunning results. However, they could not usually tell me how they did it, nor could they duplicate them, although that just seemed to make all those successes more precious. On the other hand, they often had difficulties when they were trying to get a particular result. 

...again, it's how you choose to approach the process.

I admire a lot of the current studio potters that can re-create glaze effects at will, those that have their pallet set yet are able to 'cut loose' at the same time.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Rex Johnson said:

...again, it's how you choose to approach the process.

I admire a lot of the current studio potters that can re-create glaze effects at will, those that have their pallet set yet are able to 'cut loose' at the same time.

I think that takes good memory skills and/or note taking, at least in the beginning. It also helps to work regularly and often so that learning by doing is reinforced with lots of results. 

Archived