Stream Of Consciousness Back Fires ....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update on this continuing saga of an idea gone crazy ... basics fired and ready to install. Coral heads looking good ... 1/2 of them fired. Sponges too green upon firing so have to remedy that. Fish ready to glaze and fire ....

Memo to self ... do not start something small with fuzzy end game plan. This projected installation has now resulted in a revamp of front yard plantings.

post-1585-0-09650100-1441295579_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-09650100-1441295579_thumb.jpg

WooHoo .... Could not resist taking a peek in the kiln this morning ... will not have time to unload it today but the top shelf looks promising... at least the odds of a nightmare waiting on shelves below are slightly lower than I feared.

By the way ... Those chunky bits the fish are on are the exploded chunks of the big original piece that started this whole adventure.

post-1585-0-28119100-1441809843_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-34224200-1441809852_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-28119100-1441809843_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-34224200-1441809852_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sept. 23 update ....

Garage floor is full of fish as I begin to glue them to reef parts and to each other. Still no planning in evidence but I am having fun.

I will post some images in my gallery of other work I have been making during this epic ... they have been sharing kiln space with sea life.

post-1585-0-98233700-1443036412_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-74359500-1443036426_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-98233700-1443036412_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-74359500-1443036426_thumb.jpg

I've just read the whole thread and, like Paul, I think it a lovely, epic story. I admire your skills and your patience Chris! And you, telling us the other day that you are too lazy to do raku because it needs so much time... ;)

I can't wait to see the sculpture finished in your garden. Get those fish out of the garage!

Evelyne

About to say, get outta that garage before its too big to go thro' those doors! :D

Oh no! I did not think of that!

Loading the glazed fish was very time consuming as I had to invent all kinds of supports to keep their fins raised off the shelf. I did use glaze to keep some together and mount others where I wanted them ... But I knew I would need a lot of them free standing or floating or whatever.

OK ... So I decide to start a yard sculpture ... the thing gets bigger and bigger ... taller and wider ... On the second floor of my house with no idea how to get it downstairs into the garage where the kilns are.

As an FYI for next time; a trick we use in hospitals for evacuating patients in case of an actual emergency. Strap the object to a mattress (either traditional or air; air works best); the mattress will slide a 400 + lb. person smoothly down stairs with only two people guiding and neither needs to be a big person. The mattress also prevents the item from being damaged.

OK ... So I decide to start a yard sculpture ... the thing gets bigger and bigger ... taller and wider ... On the second floor of my house with no idea how to get it downstairs into the garage where the kilns are.

As an FYI for next time; a trick we use in hospitals for evacuating patients in case of an actual emergency. Strap the object to a mattress (either traditional or air; air works best); the mattress will slide a 400 + lb. person smoothly down stairs with only two people guiding and neither needs to be a big person. The mattress also prevents the item from being damaged.

Thanks for the idea! And bonus wise, it would also be so much fun to watch if it went out of control ... :ph34r::lol:

• 4 weeks later...

The end is in sight my friends with another change of plans ....

First, here is the link to some images my gallery....

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/album/1052-life-on-a-coral-reef/

and NO, those sweet things are not going to sit outside.

Many of the smaller pieces will be outdoors but these will find other homes.

Archived