Stream Of Consciousness Back Fires ....

Considering that I am not a fisherman and get seasick just looking at a boat ... Over the length of my pottery career I have made a good living off fish ... I used to raku fire them to be sold in several Galleries along the east coast. If I was totally crazy I would raku these.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, Chris gets a Boss Award for getting that beast down the stairs and into the kiln. I probably woulda ruptured a few things if I tried that! I'm with Chantay about the biggies, though. Gotta keep my stuff small so my busted hands can carry it. I gotta get my fella to do the grunt work for me. :D

I love your feesh! ^_^ You gotta post piccies when they're done!

REALLY? Just from a second floor? I just transported the half of a life sized sculpture, from the class room to the kiln 5 stories and 2 blocks away. Took 3 people and the table it was build on. Did I mention that the building is the oldest art school in the continent and the stairs are 236 years old?

That was a nigthmare.

REALLY? Just from a second floor? I just transported the half of a life sized sculpture, from the class room to the kiln 5 stories and 2 blocks away. Took 3 people and the table it was build on. Did I mention that the building is the oldest art school in the continent and the stairs are 236 years old?

That was a nigthmare.

YIKES!! Nightmare is an understatement... Good luck with the firing.

Thank you, but with my teacher's technique firing is almost always very nice and safe. It's not my first life sized sculpture and for her starndars, life sized is really small. She is amazing!!!

Her name is Rosario Guillermo, check her web site.

http://rosarioguillermo.com/

my personal favorite: http://rosarioguillermo.com/index.php?id=7

This lady makes a mean tornado! Or Hurricanado! Thanks, yopi

Huracan! Yes she does. She travels around the world teaching her techniques for grand format ceramic sculpture.

These are pictures of the sculpture we transported all those floors down. That is our kiln with a load of sculptures.

post-65946-0-22923100-1432596753_thumb.jpg

post-65946-0-22690600-1432598115_thumb.jpg

post-65946-0-22923100-1432596753_thumb.jpg

post-65946-0-22690600-1432598115_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear that Chris.  

I've been there before.  Things always go better the next time...  Unless you want to embody the definition of insanity, and continue to repeat the same thing, over and over, expecting a different result.

I am already planning the replacement piece of course ... :P

lets just say it will be a lot thinner, easier to carry and/or built on a kiln shelf rather than needing to be transferred to one.

.. at this point I just want to get a good look at my elements ... clay is cheap, elements are not. <_<

**Update ... elements are fine, only the base of the sculpture exploded so I can still use the top. Not much else got broken.

Phew!

post-1585-0-92787900-1435889180_thumb.jpg

Your second one will turn out better, sometimes it takes a third one to get it perfect.  My large bubbler fountain I made is working,  I did have a crack on the inside of the top half, it doesn't show on the outside because it's a coil pot and the crack is inline with a coil.  The water and pump is in the lower half so no leakage, it's nice to have it running.   Denice

Thank you, but with my teacher's technique firing is almost always very nice and safe. It's not my first life sized sculpture and for her starndars, life sized is really small. She is amazing!!!

Her name is Rosario Guillermo, check her web site.

http://rosarioguillermo.com/

my personal favorite: http://rosarioguillermo.com/index.php?id=7

I wish to fall at Rosario's feet and worship her!!!!

Beth

Sometimes things go right .... the second kiln load fired beautifully so I am happy.

This project has turned into a coral reef installation in my front garden.

These images show some small coral heads as well as some clownfish peeking out of anemones ... my absolute favorite Pacific dive thing to see.

(Sorry, don't know why they are loading sideways??)

post-1585-0-13491500-1436372053_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-09876000-1436372371_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-13491500-1436372053_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-09876000-1436372371_thumb.jpg

Done! She has been living in the back garden for about 15 years or more ... a lot of wear and tear on her hairdo

THAT's not a fig leaf!

She's very pretty! I use a Virgin Mary mold for my mermaid faces - so serene, she's also been a patient Rapunzel.

• 3 weeks later...

Almost four months after first brilliant idea surfaced I find my studio stuffed with its progress.

It all started with a sculpture of an undersea coral head that got huge fast and has morphed into an underwater type art installation along my front walkway. I've now made hundreds of fish and several coral mounds ... and this week I just knew it needed sponges.

My dive buddy says it needs an octopus ... so I've hidden one.

"Reef'er Madness" indeed.

NOTE *** Here is a link to my blog on the subject which I just wrote today ... hope to keep it updated as the project goes on.

http://www.ccpottery.com/blogs--and-life-its-own/stream-of-consciousness.html

post-1585-0-24610700-1438193479_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-76120400-1438193490_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-29102200-1438193508_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-24610700-1438193479_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-76120400-1438193490_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-29102200-1438193508_thumb.jpg

I've been following this thread from the beginning but decided to re read it through again in one sitting. It reads like a Pulitzer Prize winning novel. One can feel the emotions of the protagonist and empathize with her ups and downs and successes and failures as she yearns to complete her project. We get to know her intimately as she interacts with the supporting cast of characters who have a uniquely common interest and share her journey. The reader can't put the book down because he or she is awed by the suspense and intrigue and by the determination of the main character and look forward to reading the exciting climax.

Chris, thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Paul

Archived