How To Fire Without Struts Or Unglazed Foot?

I've designed a piece of sculpture around a capped tube in order to display it on an acrylic dowel set in a base.  I would prefer a clean glaze without strut marks, holes or unglazed area and figured I would try to place it on some kind of kiln furniture "post and base" up the unglazed tube, thereby "suspending" it over the kiln shelf and allowing it to fire without struts or unglazed foot. I fire at cone 5.

Have searched the internet but can't find anything other than round posts that might work...but no base to insert it in, in order to give it stability.  Could I fashion what I need out of high fire clay that would withstand the heat of Cone 5, support the weight of the piece and  not slump inside the unglazed tube? Or maybe fashion just the base in order to insert the round post shelf support I could buy?

Could/would any kiln furniture manufacturers custom make what I need? Hope my description is ample...thanks

Couple of other options . . .

Use a kiln peep . . . set it on its base and use the post to put your sculpture on. You might need to grind down the diameter of the post, but the peep will not slump during firing.

Fashion a base and post from a soft kiln brick (be sure to wear respirator when doing so).

Otherwise, the idea of a high fire clay should work. But, I'd try the set up on a test piece before committing to a finished one.

good ideas...hadn't thought of the peep...would work, but its not long enough for this particular piece...the kiln brick would tho.  I have noticed that  certain glazes really "stain" darkly from the struts and others don"t...any thoughts on this? I suppose a darker glaze would not show the stain as much. I'll try to post a photo, but I've been having no success in changing my avatar...guess I'll find the tech link and READ the directions!

I just discovered I am registered twice here using two different usernames!  I am going to try to correct that and register under the name Pipingcat...stand by...

Archived