Some Restrictions On Posting To Stop Spam?

Yep, some gets through. It is frustrating. But even more frustrating is when going to delete a spam posting, I see that the spam post had 23 views. C'mon folks, you can tell by the title its spam . . . do you really need to check it out? That only encourages them.

I work my way through all "unread" posts by clicking on "Next Unread Topic" at the bottom, therefore I have no idea what the next topic will be.  So, that could be why 23 views.

Having reported another two spam posts this morning, (late for me it's now 10am GMT), set me wondering.

If 23 views of the spam, how many reports?  

Do the same people report most of the spam?  If yes, is there a way to give those people the ability to delete the spam?

Just thinking out loud.......

In my short time as a mod, there seems to be a very small group of members who regularly report spam (and thank you for doing so). Most reports of spam have only one or two members who do the reporting.

In the last two weeks, I think I have deleted at least 5 pieces of spam with no reports. Actually have not deleted spam, but marked an account as a spammer. The control of spam in this way is pretty non reversible, as the ID goes in to the black void. I would not want to have just anybody with that sort of power, not that I am above making mistakes, but I hope to never get vengeful or petty.

Guest JBaymore

I get a number of them with no reports also, Pres.

The folks that take the time out of their days to report the SPAM are GREATLY appreciated by the Mods and Admin!  For sure.  Thank You!  But no-one should feel like that HAVE to report it if they feel it is a burden. 

The nice thing about the Mod's control functions is that if a single spammer posts 100 pieces of individual crap in the forums, once we know even one of those posts exists... ALL of those postings go away with the single action on flagging that account as a SPAM account. 

And as Pres mentioned.... that click is a powerful tool.  Like getting rid of a mouse with a 50 caliber machine gun.

The BAD thing about many of the Mods control functions is that with a single mistake... and a single click ....... we can ALSO wreak havoc on the Forums.  So all of us are very careful about what we do.  And we frequently converse about potential actions if they are not as "clear cut" as SPAM is.  SPAM is easy...... GONE!

Hopefully.... between the numerous members of the Team...... most SPAM does not stick around for very long.

best,

..........................john

A bazillion years from now, some future archeologist/geologist is going to stumble upon an encrusted, but intact, can of Spam in solid rock and wonder if he's found the missing link to the demise of paleo-diet man. Then he'll pop the top to the can and enjoy a hearty meal of Hormel's best.

• 1 month later...

Last night was crazy town in Spamalot. An additional qualifier would be nice. Easy as why they want talk about clay. If the response is:

The fact I can see it on a Saturday morning and I have a use it for a while ago but it is a good idea of the day I will never get to the gym and I don't have a good day for the rest is the best thing ever I go back and I don't think that I have a great way for a few weeks of a sudden it was the best thing ever!

Then they don't get in. If they want to spend two seconds to devise a two sentence statement- they get in.

Last night/this morning was "whack-a-mole" time on the forum.

Actually, it would be easy for a SPAM script writer to come up with a sentence to defeat such a question.  And once they figured out why an account was denied, they'll come back with the right answer the next time. 

The ceramicartsdaily.org forum recently published 450 spam posts. I agree with the suggestion that new members should be allowed to post online only after a moderator has approved their membership request. Yes, a spam script writer can come up with a statement that sounds like it was written by a potter. But a moderator can always see through it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Guest JBaymore

I know that SPAM is a pain.... but..... really folks........ just don't read it.  We get it all eventually.  Most of it has a title line that is a dead give-away that it is NOT pottery related.

best,

..................john

It wasn't that I was reading it, I agree with that statement. I had to reluctantly turn off my forum follows as my phone was blowing up last night while I was at work. I'm just saddened by the situation.

Thanks John. This is a good point to remind us that some users have their notifications set this way.

i keep reporting spam but i am afraid that having to click on it to get to "report" i am exposing my computer to a virus.  i avoid other questionable things but just to get to report is scary.

As long as you don't click on the links embedded in the post, I  think you should be okay. 

i keep reporting spam but i am afraid that having to click on it to get to "report" i am exposing my computer to a virus.  i avoid other questionable things but just to get to report is scary.

I report almost every night and never worry about the report link-its safe as long as you avoid the embedded liink in the spam as Bruce says above. The part I do not like is the waste of time this all takes as I have done this for years now. I am a supporter of the approval process as thats what most boards have and work fine.I'll keep reporting as long as the checks keep rolling in.I suggest a 25 cent payment for every fresh new spam reported. I could retire with that check.

Mark

Its 10.50 PM out west here and there is a serious spam attact going on tonight again-I can only report a few and I guess they will see the rest.The events thread has over 3 pages of them right now and they are multiplying by the second-must be a bot. I could spend all night reporting these.

The recent topics on main page is all spam now.And I thought they only went after Sony pictures and the Feds.

I think soooner or later this will have to be dealt will-but its just a guess.

Mark

As it was all the same supposed new member, I went to members and reported the member, the timing and number suggested pos an electronic member??? DOn't know what I'm talking about but the timing of the postings were less than a minute for screeds of writing.

As it was all the same supposed new member, I went to members and reported the member, the timing and number suggested pos an electronic member??? DOn't know what I'm talking about but the timing of the postings were less than a minute for screeds of writing.

These are scripted attacks. once in, they can unload a ton of messages.

Guest JBaymore

As Sherman has already explained.... we (CAD) have a "high profile" on the search engines like Google.  That makes placing SPAM onto this site VERY attractive economically.  So this will be a constant battle.

Stuff IS also going on 'in the background' (Admin level) to fight this folks.  But the tools to do this kind of stuff (and a lot of other crap) can be downloaded/shared on the net if you know where to look...... this is not highly "esoteric" stuff.  The "bad guys" are always pushing the safeguards. 

Heck....... have you heard of a major bank/business/government that has not recently had its supposedly secure systems hacked into?  This is why I personally have NO DESIRE to store anything "in the cloud"....... no matter how many assurances there are that stuff is "safe".

best,

.....................john

I'm with you John, I don't trust "The Cloud". I don't trust it for security, and I don't trust it for reliability. Some computer networks are run off cloud servers. If the server goes down, nothing works.

In regards to the forums, this may have been brought up before, but some other message boards have a posting limit for new members. They can maybe create one new topic, and only post so many messages total, per day. It limits the SPAM and the "Trolls". Though here, I've never seen a problem, with the latter.

Archived