Sponge Holders Or White Rice?

This is a companion piece to my spoon rest or top ramen thread.

They go with spoon rests and what I can smalls-Smalls add up as they are all just add on sales to other items. I can tuna fish on small sales money with my boat all summer. You could put a child thru collage with small sales.You need other items to sell with smalls to make it all work but lets get back to sponge holders

Dirtroads wanted a photo so heres the deal-I throw these in groups of 30. I jig wire cut them after they firm slightly with a Mudcutter Bow. I like this tool for this job as its the best for my wood jig and cuts smooth with super control(I keep lots of spare wires as they wear out).

I let them dry until firm and sponge them smooth.

I throw them small plaster bats. I sell them for 10$ they sell very well. These are no trimmers-I glaze them wildly to match my other stuff. I display them near the spoon rests next to soap dishes and lotion bottles and french butters (butter bells)

I put neoprene bottoms on so they do not mare and do not slide next to sinks. I buy these in lots or 3,600 as the price is low in quantity(under 30 cents). I have gone thru a few rolls of these already. I seem to use the 2.5 inch size the most. 

You can buy in smaller quantities at aftosa.com

These holders work great on all sizes of sponges and we keep two next to our kitchen sink.

I have sold more than you can imagine over the years now.I can throw them very fast and the jig (made of 1/4 inch plywood) makes the curve cut in seconds.

mark

post-8914-0-91942000-1428475688_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-46099500-1428475708_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-16522700-1428475723_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-91942000-1428475688_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-46099500-1428475708_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-16522700-1428475723_thumb.jpg

gorgeous glazes, Mark.  this is the reason high fire work looks so special.  Bill Campbell has pots in every gift shop i have ever been in.  he uses a jigger & jolley with a last finger spiral and your kind of slipping, sliding color blends melted into lovely puddles.  i have a tumbler from the 70s in the color on the left in the shot of your 3 sponge holders.  still beautiful.

BEUUUTIFUL glazes. 

Is the plywood jig a form that you set the piece in to cut both sides at the same time, sort of like a miter box?

The box 4 sides no bottom or top and drops over the thrown formand rests on bat. I have a ware board say of 10 on the board-after they dry slightly I drop the box over and cut them one at a time the bow mudcutter cuts both sides at same time so its VERY quick.

Then you remove the cutout-I reclaim these as they are still wet. 

Let the piece dry not super dry as the spoonge easier if they still have moisture in them.

They fit inside many forms in the bisque.

At shows like the one I did last week I can sell 100 -200 of them.I also sell them thru my outlets and wholesale them for 8$. I dropped off a box Monday for a shop near Heast Castle he buys 86 twice a year.

I glaze them from 15 glazes and there are many multi glazed ones -a good mix is best.

They fit well in layers in a 4 gallon box with cardboard between the layers-86 fit into a box with one layer of soap dishes on top. This is how I pack them and take to shows or to store backstock-I use the 4 gallon duncan glaze boxes from my local ceramic supply store-they are heavy duty for shipping glaze in already.

I do not use any of those low to mid range glaze all mine are homemade cone 10 glazes but the low fire glaze boxes are great for packing these to shows.

Mark

I don't recall seeing a sponge holder in home's in my area (I used to go in lots of homes for parties, flowers, cathering and decorating). I like this product.   Going to try and come up with a slab version. 

As for spoon rests, I can't think of a single home that doesn't have one.    All upscalish homes and entertainers in my area have spoon rests.   

Thanks for sharing.

Sharon Grimes

Dirt Roads Pottery

I even had a customer that got one to hold his Iphone (sideways).

Wyndham

ha, someone else is thinking something similiar, came across this on etsy:

il_570xN.585481883_b54w.jpg

$39- the shape is amplify the sound

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185094246/clayamp-iphone-docking-station-stoneware?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=dock&ga_ref=exp_listing&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

One other use is if you do not cut out the I-phone slot and do not cut out the sponge slot you can use a pair of these one over each ear and you can hear the Pacific ocean in one ear and the Atlantic ocean in the other.Its just a another marking ploy.

Mark

One other use is if you do not cut out the I-phone slot and do not cut out the sponge slot you can use a pair of these one over each ear and you can hear the Pacific ocean in one ear and the Atlantic ocean in the other.Its just a another marking ploy.

Mark

Is it true that the Atlantic Ocean one is thrown with the wheel spinning clockwise and the Pacific Ocean one is thrown with the wheel spinning counter-clockwise? Or do I have that backwards?

I like the sponge holders but I have never seen the point of spoon rests. When I cook, I rest my utensils across the rim of a suitably sized bowl. When I am making cakes it is the bowl in which I have already weighed the butter and broken the eggs into. Spoon rests are just one more thing to wash up.

Mark,

I hope you don't mind but I am going to try and make some sponge holders. I am not going to throw them as my wheel skills are coming along but I am not super efficient at it yet. I am going to use my extruder instead which I think will be faster than doing a slab version. I already have an idea how I am going to make one based on a pencil box pattern I already make. I am excited to try something new!

Thank you again for all your support and knowledge here on the forum, you are an inspiration to me.

T

Pug

I do not mind at all as I'm sharing them to all-I did not invent them and they are great money makers for those who have the discipline to pursure sale of items in clay. They are not for everyone asnd I think extrudsee ones will work well. I had onethat went to some potters in Japan.

The woman a year later brought some the japanese potter made from mine-its was a a whole other concept to some degree-it had no bottom which works and was alot larger-I should shoot a photo and post it-maybe later as life is busy with spring on.

Mark

The jig is just a u shaped open top and bottom 1/4 inch plywood box. That drops over the thrown forms. The u shape is cut at the same time(for both sides) on a jig or band saw-sanded and then screwed and glued together. It helps if you have access to a wood shop or are handy with wood.The bow cutter is long enough to track in the u shape. You would need the tool before making the box to get the length right.

Mark

Mark

Is it true that the Atlantic Ocean one is thrown with the wheel spinning clockwise and the Pacific Ocean one is thrown with the wheel spinning counter-clockwise? Or do I have that backwards?

No that's the path to involution......

I even had a customer that got one to hold his Iphone (sideways).

Wyndham

ha, someone else is thinking something similiar, came across this on etsy:

il_570xN.585481883_b54w.jpg

$39- the shape is amplify the sound

https://www.etsy.com/listing/185094246/clayamp-iphone-docking-station-stoneware?ref=sr_gallery_40&ga_search_query=dock&ga_ref=exp_listing&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

I use a bowl that crazed horribly to stick my iPhone in to amplify the music.... 

Archived