Dress Code Issues

I got to where ties were like armor, no body will mess with you when you go to school with a tie full of Mickey Mouse, and if they did you could just tell them its all just about MIckey. I hardly ever wear one anymore, but I did have a tie and sport coat in the car for the last night dance just in case I felt under dressed.

There was a time when my dad wouldn't leave the house without a tie.  He's chilled a bit, and now will go to the shops, but not the doctors without.

My art teacher wore a - OMG how the heck do you spell it, spell-checker not helping me, excuse the phonetics - sycodelic, (physcodelic sychodelic) vibrant green and orange kipper tie every day.  This was in 1968.

I went to a pharmacy school in the sixties with a strict dress code of suits and ties to all classes. In labs, it was long white lab coats and ties. We were never allowed to wear just shirts. By the third year we rebelled against the formal dress code because it was uncomfortable, impractical and claimed we would learn better in a more relaxed atmosphere. The compromise was made allowing us to wear whatever we wanted as long as it looked neat and professional. By the fourth and fifth year we were in jeans and tee shirts and many were just sloppy. I felt I learned better and participated more as long as I was comfortable, dean's list and all. After graduation, it was back to white shirts, ties and white lab jacket when working as a pharmacist. I hated that for 30 years and eventually switched to a career in fitness where workout clothes are the norm.

Paul

I teach barefoot...keeps my shoes cleaner. Only ever had one admin take exception, she is gone now.

I am the Work Place Health and Safety officer at my high school. You would never get away with going barefoot at my school. We do not even allow our students to take their shoes off and go in sock feet. If ever there were a fire and you had to run out of the building, there would be big problems. i am surprised that you have gotten away with this.

TJR.

TJR, I have some students, the will take their shoes off.  I point out, the floor of an Art Room, is not the best place to do that.  They don't seem to care.

The second district, I was at, we did require them to wear shoes, in the large studio.  Stained glass was taught in there, so we couldn't guarantee that there weren't small bit of glass everywhere.  We also constantly reminded them, that with stained glass going on, it is never a good idea to wipe/ brush off the tables with their hand.

I don't know if I want to comment here without getting rude. No one should be in a school in bare feet, whether it be English, art, Social Studies, what ever.

Thanks for throwing a red herring in here,bcisk. The issue is safety, not fashion or being "free", or whatever.We are not living in the times of Huck Finn. Wear your shoes please.

TJR.

I agree TJR ... I really do not want the smell or sight of your dirty feet ... And yes, after five minutes they are dirty. Ick!

As to the instructor's choice of clothing ... I have always gone by the rule of thumb that anyone should be able to walk into the classroom and spot the person in charge. They should not have to ask.

Well said Chris! Now in my class, you just look for the old guy with the grey hair[gray for Americans]. I still iron a shirt every morning. I always wear shoes.

Like I said, it's a safety thing, not a fashion things-the shoes, I mean.

TJR.

I say "grey" too Tom. I just have always used that version for some reason. And that's despite spell check programs telling me I was wrong.

Anyway, I would be an exception to Chris' statement. I'm dressed nicely, but tend to blend in with the students, by height, and apparently appearance of age. I'm double their age, but still get lost in the crowd. Apparently to show my status, I need to throw on a smock and beret....

I don't know if I want to comment here without getting rude. No one should be in a school in bare feet, whether it be English, art, Social Studies, what ever.

TJR.

I don't think you're rude but I teach Pilates in a college and we're all barefoot and wearing loose, comfortable clothing.

Paul

Archived