How To Determine $ For Used Equipment

Is there a place (website) or good rule of thumb on how much to ask for used equipment? I have to sell my entire studio due to health reasons, and have no clue how much to ask. I've looked on Craigslist locally, but there isn't much to compare and when I do see a wheel like mine, it really doesn't say whether they are asking a lot or did they ever sell it for that price.  Ebay is hard because I think the prices are so different regionally. Is half of what it was new sound good? Much is hardly used. Should I just assume what people ask on Craigslist what it should sell for?

I googled pottery equipment and used prices, but got nothing helpful.

Thanks for any input.

Gwen

Folks who are looking for used equipment want a bargain. For used wheels that retail for $900 or more, you probably won't be able to get more than about $400, and that's only if it's in really good condition. A manual kiln, no matter how good the condition or size, probably won't go for more than $400 either. People don't want to pay much for old technology. A good digital kiln could get as much as $1000 depending on the size, if you're willing to wait for someone who appreciates the value. A 23x27 digital kiln will retail for $2300, so $1000 is a great bargain if it is in good condition. Most people don't know how to check the elements for wear, so you have to assume that they're assuming the elements will need replacing, which can cost $300 just for the elements, which is why you'll have a hard time getting $1500.

Folks who are looking for used equipment want a bargain. For used wheels that retail for $900 or more, you probably won't be able to get more than about $400, and that's only if it's in really good condition. A manual kiln, no matter how good the condition or size, probably won't go for more than $400 either. People don't want to pay much for old technology. A good digital kiln could get as much as $1000 depending on the size, if you're willing to wait for someone who appreciates the value. A 23x27 digital kiln will retail for $2300, so $1000 is a great bargain if it is in good condition. Most people don't know how to check the elements for wear, so you have to assume that they're assuming the elements will need replacing, which can cost $300 just for the elements, which is why you'll have a hard time getting $1500.

Thank you. That is helpful. I did see a wheel like mine on Craigslist for about $400, mine is hardly used, I think 3x. My kiln does have a sitter and new elements, which I think were about $300. If I could get $1000 for it, that would be fabulous, I may try that. 

I know when I was looking for a slab roller I had a hard time finding one, and my husband even built a table for it. That one would probably sell quickly if priced right. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money, but don't want to give it away, wish I was in the position to do that.

I'm not in a hurry right now, but would like to get it out, since I'll probably be selling the house in the summer. Much appreciated.

For what its worth I bought a skutt 1227 manual kiln and a Brent wheel-giffen grip -all misc materials/raw etc for $1,000 in the middle 90's.

I think of used wheels as $300-$400-I have bought over 6 of them and never paid above $300 no matter how little they were used.

Mark

I bought my cress kilnsitter for $500 2years ago.  Never used but sat in a shed for 20 yrs.  Had to replace a switch recently.  I bought my wheel new.... impatient.... but shortly after a studio closed and sold 5 Pacificas for 350 each ...half of my new one.

one thing I would point out about online ads such as Craigslist and others. The ads are free. This means that there is no incentive to move things quickly because of the cost of advertising. This means that when you check the ads you will see all of the newly listed items AND usually a much higher number of older ads with the unsold items. As an example I see used Clay Boss wheels listed all the time for $500 OBO. This entry wheel can be bought for almost the same amount of money brand new with free shipping from a number of online suppliers.

I think the only way to determine the 'going' price of something on a particular board is to check it regularly for a few weeks until you get a feel for the real sales versus the unsold ones that pile up make it look like things are more expensive than they are.

Sorry to hear that you have to give up your studio. Have you looked at pottersweb.net. It might be a good place to post both the individual pieces and the whole studio.

Since you have a complete studio you might also contact the ceramic art department at a local college or pottery program and see if you can post your stuff on a BB or ask the instructors if they know of a new potter that might be interested. they might even agree to pass out flyers to their class.

Good luck with whatever you move on to after you sell and I hope all is well with your health.

I've spent a fair amount of time scouring craigslist in my area for used equipment. For wheels, I've usually seen them running in the $300 range for older, well used models, and ~$500-700 for newer higher end brents. Kilns $300-500 without a controller and $700-1000 with, depending on use, age and element condition. I live in an area where these come up somewhat regularly, so don't know if scarcity may help with pricing. Slab rollers and extruders don't seem to come up as often and my impression is that they're more $ when they do. I think I paid $150 for my extruded and dies and around that, maybe a little less, for a small slab roller.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All, for your input! I found a lot of it very helpful. I did contact the pottery guild and they are going to post a flyer. I'm currently getting ready to post it all on my website, just so many photos and descriptions. I live so far out, I'm sure people will only be serious buyers if they come by. I wish I could have just sold the entire studio with equipment, glazes, clay and tools for $1500 to someone starting out, like take it all kind of thing. I keep finding more and more things to sell as I go through it, such as a $175 thermometer, wondering if I should include that with the kiln or sell it on ebay.

After looking at Craigslist, it appears people ask about half of what it was new, if it wasn't used much. I still haven't found a North Star slab roller on the table like mine in the used market. Will probably try the half off thing first.

Again thanks, it's hard enough to let it all go, lots of tears, but you guys made it easier.

Gwen

• 3 weeks later...

Archived