Wood Ash/shino Gas Fire Late Reduction

entasis

I have some roughly thrown stoneware verticals for a gas kiln that's fired to cone 9. I cannot envision an even, glossy treatment for them.

I was thinking of smearing wet ash on the pots. Has anyone had any success playing around with wood ash for a gas firing?

I'd attempt a few shinos and drop some ash on the wet glaze, but I don't think I can even get a shino within my firing restrictions. The pots are from an 09 bisque. The reduction always starts at 06, which is way too late, and lasts about an hour. Are there any shino formulas that would work under these circumstances?

Any other treatment suggestions/directions I could explore?

Guest JBaymore

Cone 06 works just fine for anything BUT carbon trap shinos.  And Japanese shinos are white.. ..... ;)

Sprinkle dry ash thru a screen (80m) onto a bisque wetted with a strong gum solution.

best,

........................john

Thank you, John. I must have read something about carbon trapping and mistaken it as a generalization for shinos, but an old school shino is all I really need. I'm sure the gum solution trick will make a world of difference when I start experimenting with wood ashes!

I am working a lot with wood ash (and other native materials) right now.  My wood ash turns out to be mostly calcium.  Looks great in the gas kiln, depending on what kind of ash, how dirty, etc..  On its own runs like crazy so get some waster plates or design pots accordingly. 

If you integrate it into more standard glaze formulations can make nice celadons (gas or other reduction) or amber (electric).  WIll try to upload some pics to my gallery.  

Archived