Attachments For Wall Pieces

Ok, soon I will be starting a series of wall hanging pieces made from slabs.  Whats the best way to make them so they hang up? Just a hole in the piece that will show, glue wood on the back, create some kind of flange in the clay  or what?    We fire to cone 10 and these items will be about 12 inches square.   Rakuku

attached is a picture of a technique that I use that seems very secure.

I use heavy music wire with an 80° bend on each hand which slips into small holes in the plate. These holes can be very small and less than an eighth of an inch deep works fine. Just make sure you bend the ends of the wire so that the weight is resting on the point at the end of the wire. When I plan ahead,  I put these holes in the greenware..Sometimes I forget. Then I to use a small diamond drill To make them.

post-6406-0-10061700-1427320969_thumb.jpg

post-6406-0-10061700-1427320969_thumb.jpg

a flat slab can hang very well from an angled strip of wood glued to the back.  a corresponding piece is attatched to the wall.  the two angles, cut at 45 degrees become a flat horizontal support. this is shown in several books but i cannot remember where i have seen it.  

You can also use high temp wire that is made into a U and embedded into the clay and fired. My partner bought some packages for some of her slab artwork meant for hanging but not sure where from. I will ask and post back unless someone here knows where to get. I'm sure it was from one of the supply houses we deal with. Not sure if regular high temp wire for firing beads and such is OK or not.   

Archived