Rotary Glaze Sieve

I typically make 2-3 gallon batches of my usual glazes and find the sieving using a basic 80-mesh sieve and a spatula (or a brush, or a rib...) to be really slow with some glazes.  Is the Talisman rotary sieve worth the price?  I can pick one up later this week for about $160. 

It all depends on how much you use a sieve.

Most get along fine with smaller units.

You only need this as a time saver if you have a lot of use.

I mix glaze almost weekly(2-4 5 gallon batches) so the 3 decades of Talismen  use was a no brainer

If I dragged every bucket to my wheel for mixing my back would have been toast years ago.

Thats the second idea of his that does not work for me the other was a chimney inside an electric kiln conversion.

Mark

I like the idea of spinning it on my wheel, but I have no water in my studio, so glaze sieving takes place in the laundry room, far from the wheel. 

Mark - what kind of difference does the rotary screener make?  If it will only save 30 seconds and then require more cleaning between glazes then it would not be worth it. 

Thanks

I second the talisman sieve as being a great time saver. It does take time to clean out the brushes when going from a dark glaze to a clear or lighter one. The rest of the clean up takes a negligible amount of time, like 10 minutes or so max. I have used it with just one brush to cut down on the amount of time spent cleaning them. 

I bought my talisman before this one came out, haven't used the PSH one so can't comment on how well it works but at $50- it's way cheaper. I wonder if you could just buy the adjustable top part with the brush and use your own sieve?

http://www.psh.ca/index.php?item_id=OFRSX

RotaryBrushWeb.jpg

The sieve posted above will fit most peoples needs.Thanks Min I have seen those recently on the net as well.

As far as the talisman saving me 30 seconds its saved me about 6 weeks in the past 30 years.Keep in mind I buy glaze by the ton.

Its really best for professional use-those who use it a lot.

I have water in my shop and I really should do a post about how to set this up but the quick idea is a flexible rubber hose on your spigot-that way you can clean the talisman quickly with a spray.

I use a silicone lab hose on my tap which is a ball valve and its above the sink by 2 feet so a 5 gallon bucket fits under it with lots of room.

Mark

I belong to a potters' club that purchased the Talisman sieve, but we all discarded the brush as being too much of a nuisance to clean. We advise our new members to just buy the sieve and use an ordinary brush to get the glaze through it. I use a pastry brush from a supermarket. It has no visible metal parts.

Cleaning the Talisman, with the three small scrub brushes, is the only part of the process I don't like.  When making 5 gallon batches of glaze at school, however, I find it is the fastest way to take care of business.  I still screen my glazes a second time (in very small batches) before doing any spraying...probably a bit of overkill, but it reduces the amount of frustration with clogs when I am trying to get a bunch of spraying done in one session.

I am just entering the world of mixing 2 gallon batches of Cone 6 glaze.  The video process that @High Bridge Pottery shared  looks like a solid option for me. Thanks!

-Paul

Archived