Dale pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:26 PM

Mark;  

I've only shaved twice also. First time was to surprise my wife and the second was when the adjustable guard on my trimer had fallen off and I didn't know until the second pass %^*(*%#&*damn!

Oh i've never dug up my own clay.  Guess i'm not a real potter.  But I have a beard.

Dale   

#22 PRankin

PRankin

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY, USA

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:40 PM

I never grew a beard. I did have a huge bushy mustache for many years in my late teens and twenties. One day I decided to shave it off and everyone laughed at me because my mouth looked very small. So I immedately grew it back and kept it for a few more years until I got tired of tasting and smelling soup, coffee and food that was still stuck in it. Yes, I did wash it or wipe it off on my sleeve quite often but I was always aware of something there.

I'm relieved that not having a beard or mixing my own glazes doesn't reduce my real potter status. I use glazes that are mixed for me in my college open studio and I also supplement those with commercial glazes that I buy. At this stage in life I don't think I would have the patience to mix my own or the room to store or them anyway.

Paul

#23 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg,Manitoba,Canada

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:56 PM

I have only shaved twice in my whole life and do have a short beard.I never thought it as a prerequisite to potting-I was called an animal today if that counts.

Mark

Mark;

What were those two times when you shaved your beard? Probably something serious,like a girlfriend.

TJR.

First time was when I turned 30 to see what I looked like.

Second time was after being married 10 years to surprise my wife who had never seen my face.

Both times where BAD ideas.I'm done with the thought of it again

Mark

You know, you left a big space that you could drive a truck into. Something about your face without the beard, but I am not going there. I consider you to be my friend, and I would never make a rude comment, even for a laugh. What was the topic again?

Tom.

#24 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

OK Tom let me clarify

I never shaved growing up -ever until I was 30 no trucks fitting into this story.

I Married late at age 48 (first time for us both) We met in 1994 so in 2004 I shaved for a surprise .

I just had a birthday last Sunday 62 now.

No truck holes here as well

and just to keep it all straight I have dug my own clay before.

I do keep it trimmed .

Talk story in a week as I'm off to a show.Its only 1250 miles away

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#25 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

I guess some artists are not real painters either because they don't make their own paints?

Dang right they aren't!  They are also not real painters, if they don't weave their own linen for canvases, hunt down animals, to shave for brush bristles and chop down their own trees to make canvas stretches and brush handles.

And don't get me started on so called "Potters", who don't mine their own clay and glaze materials...

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#26 Dale pots

Dale pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:50 PM

I've never seen this forum get so comically off track. It must be Spring Time!

#27 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

I think the "real"potters were the ones from the 19th century.  They farmed from Spring to fall, then made pottery thru

the winter.  They weren't paid by the piece, rather by the amount gallons each vessel held.  Thats why there were

so many 3 to 10 gallon crocks, and churns, etc.  Its hard from me to do much of anything in the winter

much less fool with cold wet clay and icy water all day.  It wasn't unusual for potters to throw 1 to 2 thousand

pounds a day.  I'd be such a wuss.  Back then, Men were Men and Women were too!

#28 Cavy Fire Studios

Cavy Fire Studios

Resident Guinea Pig

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationA hay field in E.Washington

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:13 AM

Oh, give me a break--just because you don't wanna deal with the bloody hassle, mess, frustration, toxic chemicals, and broo-haahaa of mixing glazes, DOES NOT MEAN you are not a "real potter," and whoever said that can kiss my fat guinea pig butt! That's total elitist crap. Pbfth.
I mixed a metric butt-ton of glazes in college. I was so neurotic about it because I never trusted anyone else to do it right, haha! I also have a small chemistry background too, so that helped.
Now that I'm a graduated guinea, guess what? EVERY SINGLE GLAZE I USE (except my three-ingredient 04 shiny clear) IS COMMERCIAL. Anyone who wants to say to my face that I'm not a "real potter" because of it is gonna have an angry 15-year thai boxing rodent ALL up in their business, too! :D I did my time in college, and I'm not heave-ho'in buckets around with TWELVE herniated discs in my back.
You ARE a real potter. Anyone who picks up that mud and makes gorgeous work, crappy work, or mediocre work is a REAL POTTER. We are one in the same when it comes to our craft, no matter what stupid glazes we use.
Heck, some potters don't use glaze at all! ^_^ Cheer up, jellybean. Your work is rad! ♥♥♥

(P.S. I HAS NO BEARD WAAAAH...but, my fella does! ^_^ )
"I wheek; therefore, I am."
-Guinea
@--@
( ' x ' )
( u u ) . . . .

#29 firenflux

firenflux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:42 AM

I have a decent supply of chemicals I never use because it's just easier to buy the pre made stuff. I barely have time as it is to make new stuff without fussing with making my own glazes. Maybe someday I will again. I still have 4 buckets I made a few years ago I'm still using because I don't like them all that much. Instead I have a commercial glaze buying obsession to rival most girls shoe obsessions. I have over 40 different colors. I don't use a lot of them though.

#30 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

I'm wondering how my gut wrenching, heart squeezing confession turned into a discussion of shaving off beards....

Mark, 62 is an excellent age.  Now we're old enough to know better,and still young enough to do something about it.

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#31 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

I guess some artists are not real painters either because they don't make their own paints?

Dang right they aren't!  They are also not real painters, if they don't weave their own linen for canvases, hunt down animals, to shave for brush bristles and chop down their own trees to make canvas stretches and brush handles.

And don't get me started on so called "Potters", who don't mine their own clay and glaze materials...

I think you have to back up a bit ... Plant your own forest so you can cut your wood for building your studio, making benches and shelves and of course, firing ... Any clay you dig up can be used for pottery or bricks. Forge your own steel so you can make your tools. And, none of that sissified electricity ....
Chris Campbell Pottery
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://ccpottery.com/

>TRY ... FAIL ... LEARN ... REPEAT"

" If a sufficient number of people are different, no one has to be normal "

Fredrick Bachman

#32 rakukuku

rakukuku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 25 March 2015 - 01:34 PM

well 30 years ago I had a kick wheel so I guess I was a real potter then but then I got rid of it.  Using advancements in products does not make any of us "un real". Actually being an "unreal potter" would be a complement.

I also have no beard. saving that for when I am an 80 year old lady.   My hubby used to and I never saw him without it until we were married 10 years.  Then he got rid of it a few years ago.  He has a nice face.   The only beard in our house now is on the dog. 

#33 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Are we not both real and unreal potters at the same time?

You made me laugh raku  :lol: I have tried a beard, it is far too itchy  <_<

youtube-logo-50x50.png facebook-logo-50.png instahack.png?1

#34 Diesel Clay

Diesel Clay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

This reminds me of that meme that says "Normal is a setting on the dryer."
I don't have a beard, I don't like scotch, and I don't wear Carhart overalls. Guess I'm not "real" either.
I mix glazes to get what I want, and because I'm nerdy about the tech. Not everyone is, or has to be. I think playing to your strengths is the best way to make amazing work, and don't waste time with something that you've given an honest try, but just isn't your thing.

#35 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

And I'll never be a real baker because I don't grow my own wheat and grind it into flour. I do grow colonies of yeasts, though, whenever I make a sourdough starter. But mostly I use the pre-grown yeast that comes in a packet.

#36 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

"Real" is over-rated anyway...I have found it to be a bit limited and constricting.  And despite the fact that it drives my daughter up a wall, shuddering in horror and sweating with embarrassment at her mom, I will not spend my time plucking out every single last chin hair, and NO, that does not portend a beard.  :P

Lee Ustinich

#37 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

There's still hope guys- if you can't grow a beard you can still grow a ponytail! ;)  

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

#38 Chilly

Chilly

those who know, teach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

I just hope that those of us who are not "REAL" potters, are also NOT "VIRTUAL" potters!  I'm not a gambler, but I bet there is a game for virtual potters somewhere in the web galaxy !

On the other hand..... virtual pottery would be clean, neat, tidy, not dusty, wouldn't make my hands itch, swallow cash, ....... or be as much FUN!

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#39 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

Bet those 'virtual potters' use that self centering clay.

#40 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Joel Edmondson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:09 PM

I just hope that those of us who are not "REAL" potters, are also NOT "VIRTUAL" potters!  I'm not a gambler, but I bet there is a game for virtual potters somewhere in the web galaxy !

On the other hand..... virtual pottery would be clean, neat, tidy, not dusty, wouldn't make my hands itch, swallow cash, ....... or be as much FUN!

Totally an App for that :D https://itunes.apple...d380090605?mt=8

youtube-logo-50x50.png facebook-logo-50.png instahack.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users