Log Form For Testing

LeeU

I am making myself a simple form so I can log what I am doing with my initial kiln, clay, and glaze tests. I have columns for the ID of the piece (with dimensions & a sketch or pic), the clay body, the target cone, 1st or 2nd fire, the glazes for each fire, length of time or other firing details and Issues/Notes. I am using commercial clay and glazes "as is". Am I missing anything crucial?  Thanks in advance. LeeU :)

Perhaps the temperature of your bisque firing? Whether you poured, dipped of brushed the glaze. Where in the kiln - top, middle, bottom, perhaps?

Note as much information as possible - if you're anything like me, you think you'll remember what you did, but then can't recall exactly what it was.....!!

Great idea Lee. I set myself up something similar, but strictly for the kiln operation. Like Celia, if I don't write it down, I won't remember later. For my kiln log, I have time columns for time started, plugs in-lid closed, first ramp, [she's a manual kiln] second ramp and final ramp, shut off and how long before I open the kiln.

I'm thinking of a second log sheet for the actual pieces themselves. I like the idea of tracking all aspects of each piece as Celia outlined. I too would love to hear of any other suggestions.

Archived