I have had pottery block for a long time. I havn't felt like anything was new or that I could come up with anything fresh. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was looking at some online books but not sure whats good for such things. One person told me about a book that lists items would help. Does anyone know of any good books for ideas.

I am coming up on a pottery block myself, I have some projects coming to an end but have no idea what I'm going to do next.  When I am without inspiration I will make some coil pots while I'm contemplating on whats next.    Denice

If you have the option, don't hit the studio until you figure out what you need to make. Time away from making is healthy. If you feel pressured to get back into the studio, choose a form to make enough times that it becomes reflexive. I do lidded jars when I lack direction. It gives me plenty of time to figure out the next run.

Sometimes I get potter's block. A couple years ago, during such a spell,

I started making vessels based on,"If a ______ were a potter, what

would the pottery be like.". The first one was "dominatrix". The

color of glaze was a given ...black. The next decision was design. So

I thought of spiked collars, and with that in mind trimmed bands around

the rims of bowls and the shoulder of cups and scored and slipped clay

spikes on the bands. They looked good, IMHO. I dropped them off at the gallery

as part of my dominatrix pottery collection, but was told that they were going to

sold as " spiked" pottery. After all we do live in Alabama! Try that, to rid

your pottery block. Good luck.

Alabama

I just can't imagine.... if I lived to 100, and could keep working,I doubt I would ever get blocked. When in a funk and not feeling up to working, I clean. Nothing is a bigger turn on to me then a clean and organized studio. For design ideas I like pinterest. To help my kids I often suggest the most simple form, pinch or coil pot. They will say they have done that. I tell them to try and make something completely different this time.

Just read the front page of Ceramic Arts Daily.  Every time I check my mail box there is some new idea.  So many techniques, ideas, glazes .... I'll never get down the list of things I would love to do.  I barely have time to read about all of the new ideas much less try all of them.  If you do hand building,  try the wheel or vice versa.   You can try different types/colors of clay.  You can layer clay.  The room for growth in this profession are endless ....  So many (techniques, glazes, clays, ideas, products) so little time.  I'm not void for new ideas ... more like overwhelmed.

Sometimes a way to break a funk is to take a class or workshop on a focused topic in a new area.  Last year I took a hand building class on making bird bath.  This was quite different from my typical wheel work.  

I learned some new techniques and its always great to see how somebody else works.  More importantly, it really engaged my brain about new possibilities. I've not made any more birdbaths (yet), but I was able to use it as a stepping stone to make many new items of my own design.  I am sure I would not have done this without the inspiration from the class. 

I only get blocked when I go to do it! It's because i am putting pressure on myself to achieve something I am not capable of yet cuz I haven't done the work to get there. Alabama - what a great idea. Writer's and fine artists do it all the time , themed block busters, but I love yours! Love to see pictures. I have to unload it make it fun again. Jolie

yeah make mugs, lots of interesting mugs. You can't go wrong having a shelf full of mugs. Whether you sell of give away, mugs are half the demand and there are thousands of ways to make mugs.

Ya know is it the pot or the process? Me I love studio time and the process so there's that. I don't get bored but I do get frustrated that there are so many other grunt work type things to get done so getting on the wheel and making is the time I most enjoy no matter the form.

Yeah, and once you get a shelf of mugs done, then do shelf of bowls, then a shelf of one piece boxes, then try a shelf of tea bowls, and then one of plates. Fire the load, and glaze them, start all over again, and make the next set completely different from the first. Keep the cycle going, and forget about throwers block.   Works for me. Either that, or I walk away from throwing and plan out some larger forms that are large thrown or slab and wheel combo, and do a few of these for change. Then go back to . . . . yes, throwing mugs! ;)

speaking of dust they could did a pond hole for coi fish and collect rocks.

I think oldlady they post and fold up as the same jestor-not really here but a baby toe into the stream only to run away.

Clay can bite you.Its been a long trip and I'm fried-I will ponder on original posters turning to dust.

Mark

• 2 months later...

I haven't had potters block yet. I can't imagine having it since clay is so organic. You don't have to come up with an idea, you just do random things and new creations evolve from it. You can take your finger on a cup and close your eyes and imagine the trees swaying when you were a kid and move your fingers that way as your wheel spins. When you open your eyes you have something new. 

I often experiment a lot with handle ideas. I just put on a normal handle and screw around with it to see what I can come up with. Get some neat looking handles sometimes, and some awful ones other times.

Archived