• Announcements

• Jennifer Harnetty

Moderators needed!   12/08/2017

Ceramic Arts Network is looking for two new forum moderators for the Clay and Glaze Chemistry and Equipment Use and Repair sections of the Ceramic Arts Network Community Forum. We are looking for somebody who is an active participant (i.e. somebody who participates on a daily basis, or near daily) on the forum. Moderators must be willing to monitor the forum on a daily basis to remove spam, make sure members are adhering to the Forum Terms of Use, and make sure posts are in the appropriate categories. In addition to moderating their primary sections, Moderators must work as a team with other moderators to monitor the areas of the forum that do not have dedicated moderators (Educational Approaches and Resources, Aesthetic Approaches and Philosophy, etc.). Moderators must have a solid understanding of the area of the forum they are going to moderate (i.e. the Clay and Glaze Chemistry moderator must be somebody who mixes, tests, and has a decent understanding of materials). Moderators must be diplomatic communicators, be receptive to others’ ideas, and be able to see things from multiple perspectives. This is a volunteer position that comes with an honorary annual ICAN Gold membership. If you are interested, please send an email outlining your experience and qualifications to jharnetty@ceramics.org.
Sign in to follow this  
Les

Can I Use Bisque For Casting A Mold?

Hi Everyone,

I usually throw one off pieces. But I have 2 already bisqued pieces that I would like to try to make molds from. So my questions are: 1) Should I glaze them first? 2) What mold release is the best to use in either the bisque case or the glazed case; from the point of view of both the originals and the #1 pottery plaster mold.

Facts: No undercuts on the originals. Both bisqued pieces were made from Standard Clay #240, smooth white, ^6. I plan to have a 2-piece mold for the vase itself (no foot ring), and a third top piece to serve as a slip reservoir. I make great plaster, having experience with press molds for tiles.

Has anyone been in this situation with good outcomes? Could you share your success, or failure, as the case may be?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Les

Actually there are a couple of threads ongoing regarding the subject of bisqued ceramic for molds as well as mold release. Seems the consensus is that Murphy Oil or WD-40 for a mold release. If you use a good release it doesn't matter whether its bisqued or glazed in my opinion. Others may see it differently but to me it's just a process, if you've made a couple of molds, know how to mix plaster then it's just another day at the office and they should be all successes not failures. Good luck! The only thing that I question is making a third piece for a reservoir why not just cast the reservoir into the two halves of the mold, you are going to have to trim it off anyway?

Best regards,

Charles