Choosing A Name For Your Pottery Business

I live in the Village of Chester, Virginia. Unfortunately someone had already taken The Village Potter. Chester is right next door to Richmond which the James river runs through. I thought of River's edge Pottery. Getting a divorce so will probably just use first and maiden name, Chantay Mitchell Pottery. The spelling of my first name is french. It means to sing, which most people are grateful I don't do.

I live in the Village of Chester, Virginia. Unfortunately someone had already taken The Village Potter. Chester is right next door to Richmond which the James river runs through. I thought of River's edge Pottery. Getting a divorce so will probably just use first and maiden name, Chantay Mitchell Pottery. The spelling of my first name is french. It means to sing, which most people are grateful I don't do.

I personally like say Chantay Pottery or Mitchell Pottery-they both have a good ring to them.

Mark

I chose a very easy name that I can remember: Paul's Pottery. I was initially trying to think about how I could add my fledgling ceramics business to the name of my current business which is Weights & Skates. I'm a Personal Trainer and Inline Skating instructor and that always had a ring to it. When I became a Pilates (pronounced pa-la-tees) Teacher I almost changed it to Weights, Skates & Pilates but that doesn't really rhyme even though it looks like it does. For a very short time I considered Weights, Skates & Glazes but it didn't feel just right so I settled with Paul's Pottery.

Paul

My personal trainer refers to what she trains me on as aerobic pilates so I think you could call your business Weights, Skates, & Butt Busting!!  

chantay, i designed a logo for Riverbank Pottery last fall.  now that i am going to sell my house on the river i have no idea what to call my business.  it was Puddleduck Farm when i lived on the mountain.  had a great sign painted on my truck doors and one that hung on the highway near the mailbox.

The name I chose for my business "Mouten Keramik" is made up of my first name spelled out phonetically as a Japanese person would say it, and the word for ceramics in my native language. I use the kanji (japanese characters) for "saying politely" and "Heaven"/"Svarga" as a stamp on my pots (the characters spells out "Mouten"). The thought was that it was a good representation of the humility you have to approach the field of ceramics with, if you want to master it.

The name felt natural to me, but actually sounds kind of awkward when you bark it out in Danish. Atleast it stands out.

• 1 month later...

Mine is "shanel pottery" - Shanel is my middle name and more memorable than "rebekah"  and a lot less common.  Call me a weirdo but I checked it with numerology to be sure the numerological characteristics of the name were good for business. ;) lol Locations and puns seem to be more common, so that is why I decided to go with my name. 

I think all of you have great names and I think they represent you all well.

I went with nine7suited ceramics. Mostly because I pay for all my pottery stuff with my poker winnings. I used to play poker for a living back before black friday. Now I just use my winnings to support my clay habit. 

97 suited is my favorite hand! plus I think the simple name suits who I am as a person and what I want my pottery to look like. 

nine7suited

I even bought nine7suited.com and setup an etsy shop forward. but I haven't listed anything yet. My wife sold some of her pot holders she quilted, but we haven't put anything else up yet. People are driving me nuts to make them spoon holders. I made 3-4 sorta like Mark C posted and we use them in my house. All my guest are like "I want some of those!" We should all get on that band wagon. Spoonholders or Rice!

d88c8234-3cb4-4a0d-a8dd-55a282a20d9a_zps

The idea is to make something simple that sells well, thus allowing you to eat more than just rice or ramen.

This. I think the main thing is that he sells these along with his other pots to supplement his income greatly. Think if you sell 1 or 2 of these bad boys with every mug or bowl or what not it adds up.

I know I'm late to the party, but we decided to call our studio "Up in Smoke Pottery".  #1 Dykstra Pottery was already taken by a potter on the other side of the state. #2, the smoke(vapor) provides most of the colors/patterns in our work, no glazes, pit and saggar firings.  #3.  Its a great conversation starter at art festivals.  Most people don't remember my name, but they remember our work and studio  :D

Chad

• 2 years later...

I'm not so crazy about my little company name & will likely change it. It is sooooo boring. It's Ceramic Fixtures- because I mostly make light fixtures- but that's changing too.

That makes this topic interesting- to see what others are doing. I still haven't come up with anything catchy so I may just switch to my name like others have done.

1 hour ago, terrim8 said:

I'm not so crazy about my little company name & will likely change it. It is sooooo boring. It's Ceramic Fixtures- because I mostly make light fixtures- but that's changing too.

That makes this topic interesting- to see what others are doing. I still haven't come up with anything catchy so I may just switch to my name like others have done.

your work is anything but  BORING!!  It's exquisite!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived