Choosing A Name For Your Pottery Business

There is a topic in the updates area that I don't think has been asked here yet ....

What should you name your business?

Your name? Your street, town name? A cute name meaningful to you?

Obviously since I am "Chris Campbell Pottery, LLC" we know what my answer is.

The why is strictly business related ...

Easy to Google and find website quickly

Don't have to remember the name of that potter at Wild Turkey Pottery

Easily fits even if I change the type of work I do ... Eg not 'earthenware by Chris' etc.

Legally have to put the LLC on everything

If I get stuff addressed to Mr. Chris Campbell I know I can safely throw it out.

What did you name your business and why??

My name is from a place name where the pottery is located.I named it when I bought the property and started building kilns and pottery.That was 1973.

Its not as easy to find via web unless you know the name but the same can be said if it was named Mark Cortright Pottery-you still need to recall the name.

I will add that it did take years for this name to catch on-now in my area the name is extremely well known as well as the shows I do as I have had presence for so many years.

I feel lucky on this name choice-its unique and you will not find another-whereas peoples names tend to repeat-say Jims pottery-you may find many with this name.

Now my name via google shows Liscom Hill Pottery and vice versa as its all one really now on the web.

One really needs to consider the choice of name well as changing it later on only muddys the water.

When I first started I took checks in my name but soon that changed as I really shifted to a real business with a name that has grown into a well known name.

If you plan on staying small and just selling a few items then there is no need to use anything but your name-or as Chris did your name is your business-the one thing that does is it puts your name in the collective memory and that also is a plus for memory in peoples minds..

Mark

I don't sell much pottery, not my main business, but...

The pottery "business" is called Beechwood Studios.  Why?  Long story.  When I was an IT Training Consultant I needed a Limited Company, so called it Beechwood Learning.  My house was purchased new and was in a development called Beech Hall Place, so I liked the Beech bit. Actually, love beech (and all other big) trees.  Then I saw a tree logo for the national forest in Leicestershire and knew I could incorporate something similar into Beechwood with the tail of the d being half the trunk and the downstroke of the L being the other half with the curly leaf bit above.

When the IT contract ended, I moved the Beechwood half of the name and added Studios, so it can embrace all kinds of crafts.

Our main business is called ReadyPedalGo and we teach cycling, both learners and Bikeability (on roads), and I spend all day saying, ready, pedal, goooo!  We spent ages saying variations of ready, steady, go before deciding on ReadyPedalGo.  It kind-of says what we do.

I love names that have a story, and give an idea of what the business is about.

I was advised to get my name in there somewhere.   But Roberta Hawks Pottery didn't flow.  So we live on a hill  and I was thinking Hawks Hill pottery.  But if a person were ever to move.....so I live on Ridge Drive.   Hawks Ridge Pottery, LLC.  And that would be a name that could travel with me if necessary. 

Roberta

I have found your thread!

It's difficult for me, because I am in the process of making some cute Egyptian faience beads, amulets, shabtis, etc etc... I have been talking to a local museum and I am quite friendly with the people in there (plus i volunteer there!) and they said I can sell some of my faience pieces in the shop. So, I thought it would be suitable to think of a name :P 

Ahhh, naming things...good topic.  We have a private campsite where we built many buildings.  Blacksmith shop, pottery shed, craft studio, and many sleep cabins, pizza oven, etc.  Each one has a name.  My husband and I both enjoy making pottery...he on a kickwheel/elec. wheel and I handbuilding mostly (he picked up on the wheel much easier; I still try it - curse it- and return to the table).  So, we came up with 2 & Throw.  My sister designed the logo, and I found someone to make a stamp.  Can't wait to see and use it!

Oh man...the name game.

I've had more than one name. My first name was "Kaninkolo Art Studio," ("kaninkolo" being Finnish for "The Rabbit Hole"), but, then I was all like, "Who the heck is gonna remember a name like that?" So, "The Earthen Cavy" was born. Now, the word "cavy" is the "proper term" many guinea pig fanciers use to call that animal (pronounced "KAY-vee"), and given how often cavies appear in my work, it seemed fitting for a while.

Well...then the name "The Guinea Potter" started rolling around in my head. It's a catchy play on words and I've noticed people remember it easily. So, I think I may have found a winner. ^_^ Third time's a charm!

But yeah...

Rabbits and GUINEA PEEGS are such integral parts of my life that bring me both untold happiness and sorrow, just like my experiences with clay. I wanted to incorporate one of those animals in my name, and since there are a ton of ceramists that have "rabbit" in their business name already, using a guinea pig was the obvious choice for me. :)

Wheek! ♥

I named my pottery 'High Bridge' after the street the studio is on. I feel if I did move I could take it with me as it sort of stands alone without being located there.

I spent a long time trying to be clever and looking into latin words and different words from different mythologies until my friend said why don't you just name it high bridge.

'Joel Edmondson Ceramics' seems a lot harder to remember.

I am all in favor for using one's own name, except if you're like me and have a name that nobody can spell or pronounce. At my age I still cringe, it's a lifelong sore spot. When I worked as a designer my business name was my name, no big deal because a designer doesn't work with public crowds. When I started the pottery business, I couldn't bear the thought of having to teach all those strangers how to pronounce it, or hear people say it wrong all day. So my pottery business is known as Good Elephant Pottery. Yes there is a meaning behind it, but I keep it to myself. Everyone can pronounce it, and everyone remembers it. At least they can remember "elephant" and find me via google. My regular customers call me Mea. Sometimes I get called "the elephant lady" which is fine with me.

Yes I get asked a lot "what does it mean?" but I just say "sorry it's a secret" and that is now part of the branding. Somebody asked sparklingmango if they don't mind being asked to explain "star power" all day long. My advice is, if you want to use a curious name, have a short explanation prepared, and it'll be fine. But I will also add, make sure you aren't going to outgrow that song or band. Your taste in music might change as you get older. It is smarter to base the name on something permanent.

I also like the idea of naming your company after your location. It means you are fond of your home.

I guess legally I go by "S. E. Replica Pottery".  I was told if you make something exactly with materials and

methods, its replicating,  and if you make something  that appears dead on accurate using new/improved or

alternate means, then its a reproduction.  I started out making south east Indian pottery replications and wanted

something to convey that... So the Mississippian and Creek Indian pottery I make are replicas and the European

French, German, and British colonial pottery I make are reproductions, at least in my mind.  There might be some

grey areas in my definitions, but thats what I go by until further notice. :)

My avatar cup is an example of a London potter in 1684... He wanted his vessels recognized from a distance,

like across the room.  So at one point he started making all his bowls, cups and pitchers, double walled with

pierce work on the outside, which removed all doubt who the vessels were made by.

Alabama

I have a joint venture with my Good friend who makes jewelry. We keep each other motivated and also do some cross medium and collaborative work. We had the challenge of coming up with a name that would somehow capture what we both do. There were long lists of vocabulary from both mediums and all sorts of possible combinations. We finally settled on Fire 'n' Flux. We both use fire and we liked the double meaning of flux. Plus it has a nice ring to it. The problem is it doesn't really tell you what we do by itself, but Fire 'n' Flux pottery and jewelry seems too long. Oh well. It works for now.

I grew up surrounded by a sea of Debbies, Donnas, Susans etc so for years I was at odds with my name.  Now I actually quite like my name and it was only enhanced by glomming onto my husband's last name.  I seriously considered it for my business name, but being a diehard New Englander (we love our anonymity and protect it with a passion)  I just couldn't get myself there, so I chose Naughty Dog Pottery.  Dogs have always had a huge presence in my life and they keep me company in the studio.  I also am constantly amused by their bad behavior and find myself using the phrase "naughty dogs" often throughout the day.  When my dog dishes became popular it just seemed like the way to go.   

Well I make mostly silly sculpture pieces and very little that is functional. I do not wheel throw.  So I just sell my stuff under my own name. I do have a business entity with separate tax id number and a business name i don't use publicly (its for the IRS and insurance company).   rakuku

Exert from the home page of my website.

"Each piece of Dirt Roads Pottery is handmade.  Starting with a ball of clay.   This pottery is very much like a dirt road.  Simple but unique.  Flowing and meandering in no exact pattern.  And just like dirt roads, no two pieces are ever exactly the same.  Each piece offering just a bit of mystery and uniqueness.

The rambling dirt road in that picture that frames the website is a view from the place where I grew up.  I draw inspiration for my pottery from roads such as this one.   The random patterns and patches of gravel surrounded by the colors in the forest and thicket landscapes that enclose these roads. Highlights of the changing sky and sunlight filter through the trees and dance along compacted trails of dirt.    All of this reflecting in Dirt Roads Pottery. "

"After losing my 8000 sq ft retail store, I spent days wandering around the farm where I grew up.  This farm is split by an untraveled dirt road. Miles of winding dirt roads aligned with woodlands, swamps and thickets provide endless inspiration for singular creations."

^ This is the back ground for the name "Dirt Roads Pottery."  I considered locating the studio on this dirt road but had decided to try a destination retail location.   This area was too hard to find plus some of the ladies (most of my customers) might have felt uncomfortable on such a remote rural road.

Very early on I used my name first and last, then someone said oh your should never use your married name what if you get divorced? Hmm felt like continuing to use that was like poking fate in the eye. Then a wonderful furry little diva entered my life. I started painting and selling Pug art primarily. So when I started selling that oh those many many years ago I named my first website Pugaboo. My little shop was the Pugaboo Boutique. I have 5 Pugs and will admit to being a crazy Pug person. When I started printing books and cards I used Pugaboo Printing for that. Now that I am focused on Pottery I use Pugaboo Pottery, sounds nice and is keeping with tradition. All anyone has to do is remember Pugaboo and I am quite likely to show up in some version of it. My signature stamp is a little running Pug as well.

I do have a question... Is there a place to go and register a signature stamp, makers mark, whatever it's officially called? It would be nice if in the future someone were to google my pottery stamp that they could find me that way as well.

T

> I do have a question... Is there a place to go and register a signature stamp, makers mark, whatever it's officially called? It would be nice if in the future someone were to google my pottery stamp that they could find me that way as well.

I found this old post by Mark ... CAD used to collect them for exactly this reason ....

After looking around for months I finally found it . It was here all along-not sure if it still exists.These where my two signatures that cover 98% of 40 years of production work. It was a collection of potters bottom signatures in the US-not sure about other countries?

Maybe someone can answer if its still going on?As it was started here at the potters council .

http://ceramicartsda...cortright-mark/

Its was by Jennifer Harnetty 2009

Its a potters marks data base.

Mark

My last name (Ustinich) is too long. I use LeeU. The anonymity is not so much like Darcy's New England penchant (I'm in NH) as "12 step" lingo, for those who know what I'm talking about. So I recently decided on LeeU Ceramics. I have a nice little stamp with LeeU centered in an oval. I figure a .com & e-mail will take care of anyone locating me, if I decide to sell stuff. If I ever advertise as a studio or shop, it will be named Cerimtech Studio, which I really like. (So don't steal it LOL)

My own name (Irene Charnas) is extremely unremarkable as a business name and the 'Mudslinger Ceramics'  name rolled around in my head for a few months before I decided to register it...... and I was surprised no one had claimed it before me (in Australia).  I liked how it rolled off the tongue, had multiple references in a ceramics context and a cheeky humour of the word 'mud-slinger'.  I am complimented on it very often.

The drawback of course, is that it only covers my ceramics work which is what I first wanted to sell. I later wished I had not made it so creatively specific when I decided to sell my jewellery, photography, drawing, printmaking and painting.......sigh!!  So I have been tossing up on adding another business name for the other ventures.....I vassilated between 'Australian Handmade' as my 'sensible' option or 'Arginini Arts' (my 2 dogs names co-joined) as a more light-hearted one (have since settled on Australian Handmade) that can later allow my ceramics to be merged in as well.

Tricky stuff this name choosing busines........!!!  Good question.

Irene

I chose a very easy name that I can remember: Paul's Pottery. I was initially trying to think about how I could add my fledgling ceramics business to the name of my current business which is Weights & Skates. I'm a Personal Trainer and Inline Skating instructor and that always had a ring to it. When I became a Pilates (pronounced pa-la-tees) Teacher I almost changed it to Weights, Skates & Pilates but that doesn't really rhyme even though it looks like it does. For a very short time I considered Weights, Skates & Glazes but it didn't feel just right so I settled with Paul's Pottery.

Paul

Well, my given name is Calandra, and while it IS a satisfyingly artistic name in itself, I too have issues with people mispronouncing it. Diesel is my husband's name, but even should we split (unlikely), there are enough ties and history and children that I would still have reasonable claim to it. So Diesel Clay seemed to cover who is working, and what is being worked with. Also, I like the connotations of hard work being put in, and of a certain amount of strength and durability.

Archived