67 replies to this topic

#61 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:50 PM

Of use to know here also is that the ashes come in a plastic bag. It is helpful to have the opening large enough to just place the bag inside.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#62 florence w

florence w

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:53 PM

What do you think of this?  Glaze made from bones...

https://cfileonline...._eid=269a203b98

#63 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:41 PM

Bones are what you have left when you cremate -what we refer to as ash is those crushed bones and glaze made from them is nothing New. I have heard and have friends who are in ash glazes for many many decades.

the fellow in that piece  in the above link has it sounds just stumbled onto this age old idea. I 1st heard of this in the 70's-my guess is its been going on across the pond for centuries.If you have been a potter for a while you will get asked to do just such a thing-its part of being a potter.

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#64 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:12 AM

I finished the funerary urn back in April, and have forgotten to post it here. As I do not have space right now in the gallery, if interested, check out the posting on my blog site.

best,

Pres

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . . http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#65 LeeU

LeeU

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

That is one gorgeous vessel!!  Believe it or not, tho, my personal taste runs to the look of the greenware...have you done any using the natural body and a clear, or partial glazing? 

Lee Ustinich

#66 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

Not yet, and I do know what you mean. I have thought that it would be a good surface unglazed, but my feelings about something buried in the ground, if even in a vault is to be completely sealable.

On the other hand, I wonder about the exterior of bowls or such where the surface is left unglazed and the interior is glazed. I still wonder about absorption, cleaning and other things when working on functional ware.

best,

Pres

#67 snoopdog6502

snoopdog6502

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWalla Walla , Washington

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:54 AM

As a glass artist we can put a tiny bit of ashes into a pendant, marble or most anything.

I will not do it for profit but will do it free for people I have known personally in life. A pets ashes at normal rates as the art would cost without.

I'm a tender heart, its hard on me emotionally, I am more creative when im happy.

#68 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

The extraordinary clay bender

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:18 PM

Here is a recent urn from the wood firing I participated In.

Attached Files

~ Namaste ~

Home studio potter 

Shanel Pottery 

www.shanelpottery.com

www.facebook.com/shanelspottery 

"To me the greatest thing is to live beauty in our daily life and to crowd every moment with things of beauty.  It is then, and then only that  the art of the people as a whole is endowed with it's richest significance.  For it's products are those made by great a many craftsmen for the mass of the people, and the moment this art declines the life of the nation  is removed far away from beauty.  So long as beauty abides in only in a few articles created by a few geniuses, the kingdom of beauty is nowhere near realization."                                                                                 - Bernard Leach 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: urn;, funeral, article, magazine;, throwing;, handbuilding;, philosophy;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users