This topic will help me a bit. My wife and I both want to be cremated. She wants me to make the urns. She really does not want anything permanent, just ashes in the Teton's. I have tried to get her to realize that somewhere should be a plaque or stone commemorating her presence here. Seems egotistical, but reality is when doing genealogy, many people refer to grave sites for reference of dates, family, spouses, children etc. I would like a plaque on my parents joint stone or a stone nearby. Just to make it easier for people to find me! :huh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic will help me a bit. My wife and I both want to be cremated. She wants me to make the urns. She really does not want anything permanent, just ashes in the Teton's. I have tried to get her to realize that somewhere should be a plaque or stone commemorating her presence here. Seems egotistical, but reality is when doing genealogy, many people refer to grave sites for reference of dates, family, spouses, children etc. I would like a plaque on my parents joint stone or a stone nearby. Just to make it easier for people to find me! :huh:

While we did toss everyone overboard in one manner or another (plane, boat) we left a plaque affixed to a boulder to commemorate our dad.  

Personally I'm leaning toward being tossed to the breezes.  I plan on coming back anyways as I am sure I still have some karma to work off, and I don't want to have my old ashes affixed to a broken piece of pottery or on a shelf in someone's storage unit who has no clue who I was.  Or worse, have strangers dump me out because they have no clue who I was and are tired of the responsibility of watching over me and keeping me dusted.

While we did toss everyone overboard in one manner or another (plane, boat) we left a plaque affixed to a boulder to commemorate our dad.  

Personally I'm leaning toward being tossed to the breezes.  I plan on coming back anyways as I am sure I still have some karma to work off, and I don't want to have my old ashes affixed to a broken piece of pottery or on a shelf in someone's storage unit who has no clue who I was.  Or worse, have strangers dump me out because they have no clue who I was and are tired of the responsibility of watching over me and keeping me dusted.

I can't begin to imagine why anyone would want a potful of ashes on the mantelshelf.  Maybe that's because all but two of those closest to me are still here, and the two I lost were an aunt and her grand-daughter, so their ashes (they were both buried) were not mine to "do with".

For myself I really don't care.  Once I'm gone, I'm gone.  For my parents and partner, I don't want to have to do something with the ashes, nor do I want somewhere specific to go to remember them.  My own garden contains plants propagated from my parents and favourite aunts gardens, so I can remember them there, or anywhere with plants.

When my mum-out-law died, we went back to the crem to place her ashes with her sister, but it wasn't allowed and Papa J was more distressed after the "ceremony" than he was before.  So, my ashes can stay in the big kiln forever.

This is very much a personal choice as what to do with ashes-I respect anyones choice and they all differ.
We as a family spread them in places that meant something to each person who life it was. We wait one year from death to do this. I have done this 4 times with my family. Just have a sister left  as I'm the youngest so next time its her or me doing it.

We spread my fathers ashes at sea in the 60's when that was illegal  as one could not to have them anywhere except in a cemetery. We had a cript in name only for some years until our state made ashes legal to spread in public places like the sea.

My brothers (1970) are in a small creek on forest service land in a remote area thats runs to the sea.

My mother's ashes are off the channel Islands off california coast

My  other brothers ashs (1993) are in a famous fly fishing section of river in Idaho which flows to the sea.

Mine will be in the ocean on the tuna grounds  about 30-40 miles offshore.

I never need to travel to these places as Just the thought of rivers and ocean is enough

I spread some of my cats ashes into the garden each year as they liked to rest in the summer shade there. They will all be gone soon and the urns will be empty.

I make a ceramic plaque for all my cats over the past 40 years which hangs on a tree in the side yard but not any plaques for humans.

Its a personal choice.

These people live on in our memorys until we are are just memorys.

Mark 

Lidded vessel=$$ Urn=$$$$. I make urns but lidded vessels are ok too. 

Those of you who may consider making urns. A few tips. Some people do not want to open the bag of ashes so make sure the opening is wide enough to accept the ashes. Make a good lid; one with a flange and rests on  gallery. A tip to the side or a bumpy road and poor lid and a grieving family; not good. Make sure the urn is large enough. First one was for our friend Darlene barely got all of the ashes in. My wife just about died as we neared the top pushing and tucking her in there right before the memorial.

I have never accepted money from family members or friends.

<snip>

I make a ceramic plaque for all my cats over the past 40 years which hangs on a tree in the side yard but not any plaques for humans.

I love this idea Mark!

Some here already know of my love for my chickens. In the nearly 10 years of keeping them, I've lost quite a few. Sadly, chickens just don't have that long of a life span. :( I have one specific spot, out in the woods of our property, where I lay to rest those girls who have passed of natural causes. I have long lamented that I had nothing suitable to mark their final resting place. Thanks for giving me a great means to address that lack, Mark. :wub:

Of course it is a very personal decision of how we want to be buried: in an urn, as an ash glaze, as a future tree, whatever. I think it is important that we think about it at all, and not only when we are 100+ years old.

Pres: I understand very well what you mean in urging your wife having a plaque somewhere. But aren't we just thinking for the ones that survive us? Maybe they don't want to come to X or Y or Z to bring flowers or some such? Or do we want to stay just a bit longer in the memory of others, reminding them with a plaque? Just a thought!

Benzine: I wonder: are you talking of the cremains of your loved ones, or are you thinking of telling another ceramist that, after you died, he/she should do the ash glaze with your ashes? And maybe that wouldn't be easy at all, to find somebody who will really do it (remember, you can't check.. ;) )

Rebekah: again, my deepest felt condolences. He died way too young.

Did you make that urn to practise, or will you make more and sell them to funeral homes? Think of what forum member What? wrote about the size of the urn and also of the lid....

What?: welcome to the forum! Thanks for your thoughts here. Would you mind filling in your profile page, so that we at least know where you come from? We like to hear more from you.

Thank you all again for your thoughts. Keep them coming!

Evelyne

Evelyne,

I just like the idea of using cremation ash in glazes.  If my family would want me to do it, for one of our relatives, I would definitely do so.  I can't say I'd expect anyone to do it with my ashes.  I could demand it, and if they didn't I'd just haunt them...  Of course if they did do it, having my remains in glazed items, I may haunt them that way too...

Evelyne,

I just like the idea of using cremation ash in glazes.  If my family would want me to do it, for one of our relatives, I would definitely do so.  I can't say I'd expect anyone to do it with my ashes.  I could demand it, and if they didn't I'd just haunt them...  Of course if they did do it, having my remains in glazed items, I may haunt them that way too...

I guess you can't make your own ash glaze.

Tom.

I made one for my son who was killed 2 years ago.  It's not your usual urn.  He always lived in not so good apartments, so I made him a castle with things that he enjoyed painted on it, and his picture on top.  When it comes time to bury him (if I ever get to that point) my husband will make a wooden box to put the urn in. I found comfort in it, but I don't think I would make one for anyone else.

what a beautiful tribute to your son 

I was doing some re-reading of the October 2013 Ceramics Monthly this morning and stumbled on a full page ad for the  Art Honors Life Gallery at Funeria (funeria.com).  The artists featured in the ad do what I would consider noteworthy  "personal memorial art":

The Funeria site also includes a lengthy list of artists..pretty sure that most of them make some sort of urns, memorial art, etc.  I have not clicked through on all of the available artist's links, but what I found is worth a second look.

-Paul

• 1 month later...

BUT this idea I think is way cool! http://www.luciapottery.com/urns/urns_biodegradable.php 

That link didn't work for me, but this one does:  http://www.luciapottery.com/urns/urns_biodegradable.php

There was a space at the end.........

I am going for permanence, not biodegradable. I would not want to drop one of those green urns full of ashes. The ashes are quite heavy. What if someone knocks Dad off the mantel?

TJR.

I made an unfired urn for a surfer friend, to ride out to sea on an old board . . .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have been asked to do an urn by my father for a man he was a guardian for for the last 40 years. The urn has to be able to fit into a burial vault. So I am waiting to hear the size of the vault.

best,

Pres

Archived