Question About Pyrometers

Pam S

I purchased a used L&L, model J-18, manual three zone kiln last year. While using guard cones as well as the kiln sitter works well most of the time I'd like to have more control of the kiln environment. I know nothing about how to use one much less what to look for in purchasing one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I purchased a used L&L, model J-18, manual three zone kiln last year. While using guard cones as well as the kiln sitter works well most of the time I'd like to have more control of the kiln environment. I know nothing about how to use one much less what to look for in purchasing one. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pam I bought a digital pyrometer last year and have really enjoyed the ability to control my firings. I have a Skutt 1027 a couple of smaller Paragon's and a small test kiln. The thermocouple doesn't work with the test kiln, I put a single thermocouple holder on the Paragon and put the thermocouples in the peep hole plugs and stuff insulation inside the plug to give a little extra protection to the meter and it keeps from rattling around. They are made by Skutt (Digital Thermometer 343) I did a lot of research before buying these, I wanted something easy to operate and reasonably priced. They are extremely easy to operate and I think I paid around 150.00 for two thermocouples and the pyrometer. It would have been less if I had bought two thermocouples with the pyrometer. But I only ordered one thermocouple with the pyrometer, I wanted to try it out. I quickly learned that I needed the other thermocouple for the three zone Skutt, the pyrometer is set up for two thermocouples. It display both thermocouple temperatures and the difference between them, it automatically turns off after a few minutes to save batteries. The technician at Skutt were a lot of help, I'm sure they could answer any of your questions. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Pam I bought a digital pyrometer last year and have really enjoyed the ability to control my firings. I have a Skutt 1027 a couple of smaller Paragon's and a small test kiln. The thermocouple doesn't work with the test kiln, I put a single thermocouple holder on the Paragon and put the thermocouples in the peep hole plugs and stuff insulation inside the plug to give a little extra protection to the meter and it keeps from rattling around. They are made by Skutt (Digital Thermometer 343) I did a lot of research before buying these, I wanted something easy to operate and reasonably priced. They are extremely easy to operate and I think I paid around 150.00 for two thermocouples and the pyrometer. It would have been less if I had bought two thermocouples with the pyrometer. But I only ordered one thermocouple with the pyrometer, I wanted to try it out. I quickly learned that I needed the other thermocouple for the three zone Skutt, the pyrometer is set up for two thermocouples. It display both thermocouple temperatures and the difference between them, it automatically turns off after a few minutes to save batteries. The technician at Skutt were a lot of help, I'm sure they could answer any of your questions. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Euclids has a portable hand-held pyrometer for around $60 to $70 however a pyrometer is basicaly athermocouple with only two dissimilar pieces of wire welded at one end. You can attache the other ends to a multitester with an appropriate scale and you have a pyrometer because with the different dissimilar metal joint there is a specific correlation between the current and the temperature. Check out one of my favorite engineering companies Omega. They have thermocoples, pyrometers and even programmable loginc controllers you can use to substitue for a dedicated kiln controller for a lot less money. The thermocouple wire page is http://www.omega.com...couplewire.html

Good luck,

Regards,

Charles

Unless you are using the thermocouple on more than one kiln, the peephole is not the best place to put it. On your L&L look around the "back"- there are several 1/2" holes in the stainless steel jacket. Just use a drill to go thru the fire brick, and insert the thermocouple. (It's why those pre-cut holes are there.)

Unless you are using the thermocouple on more than one kiln, the peephole is not the best place to put it. On your L&L look around the "back"- there are several 1/2" holes in the stainless steel jacket. Just use a drill to go thru the fire brick, and insert the thermocouple. (It's why those pre-cut holes are there.)

I am glad that you are familiar with the L&L Kiln , I had called Skutt to find out where to drill holes in the side of the kiln and they were the ones that recommended the peep hole installation. I was skeptical at first but I have been getting accurate readings, but each brand of kiln probably has a ideal set up.

• 1 year later...

I am glad that you are familiar with the L&L Kiln , I had called Skutt to find out where to drill holes in the side of the kiln and they were the ones that recommended the peep hole installation. I was skeptical at first but I have been getting accurate readings, but each brand of kiln probably has a ideal set up.

That is odd about Skutt. I have a Skutt kiln and it has a precut hole in the stainless steel jacket for drilling through the firebrick for a thermocouple. Why would they recommend using a peephole when they already design their kilns to accommodate a thermocouple?

Archived