How Would You Handle This?

I was doing a demo in a public place last week and a woman that I know only by name, same way she knows me, came by and started taking pictures. Ok with me at first, but she took maybe 200 shot, got up on the podium, shot down into the pot I was working on. The shots seemed to be more of the work being done that of me . I found out today that she didn't take pictures of anyone else doing art demos that day. She does not work for the company that set up the art event, and I THINK she is a budding potter, not sure about that. Now that I know she was not working for the newspaper , or the organizer , and did not take pictures of any one else, I feel weird. I asked her to send me any good picture she got, my e-mail is out there and I'm pretty sure she can easily find it. So far, I have not heard from here.

I feel weird about this. If I had known she was going to take that many shots, I would have asked her not to. I kept seeing her still shooting out of the corner of my eye as I worked and interacted with the audience. Would you feel wierd? What would you have done? Am I paranoid? Or just irritated. I give lessons, if she wants to learn how to throw a pot, she can come take a class with me. I'm sort of waiting for those pictures to show up somewhere I don't want them.

Weird person with no sense of limits.

Unfortunately you were in a public place doing a public demo which means you were being nice ... She took advantage of this and since no one stopped her, she just accelerated. In hindsight ... always 20/20 ... you could have nicely asked her to get down from the podium as I am sure she was annoying to others watching, but I'm not sure you could have stopped her taking pictures from ground level at a public demo.

Doubt you will ever see her in a class ... also will not likely get any images from her either. If she was taking a movie you might worry about YouTube, but not so much with images.

I understand why it feels creepy but cheap lesson for you as next time I am sure you will be quicker to defend your boundaries.

If you know this person's name, can you find her website, facebook, other social media pages? I would keep an eye on these for a week or so. If any photos of you appear, you have the right to ask her to take them down. Legally, she needs your permission to publish them. If she just took the photos for her private use, I agree it's weird! But it won't cause you any harm.

I don't know what the other demos were, but keep in mind that wheel-throwing was probably the most visually mesmerizing demo. Maybe she is a budding photographer, and your demo really inspired her.

At shows, people sometimes ask if they can photograph me and my pots. If they look like a harmless civilian, I say sure. If they look like a professional photographer, I make sure to ask who it's for, and get their contact info. Your situation doesn't fit the usual types. If I ever have a civilian take more than a few shots, like dozens of photos, that would raise my alarms too, and I would ask them to stop.

I demo at certain event in connection to the center where i teach. One time, like you, some person kept taking multishots of me throwing. I had no idea who he was but that flash he was using was throwing me off my game. Another time a local blogger asked to photograph, i said sure. Thought it was just still shots til a student said, "hey i saw your youtube video" i searched for myself and sure enough thats me and definately during the time the blogger was there.

Wow. Creepy.

It is unusual behaviour, to be sure, and it's okay to set polite but firm boundaries. If someone had stuck their camera over my shoulder during a demo without asking first, I think it's fair to ask that they don't hover and disrupt your concentration, out of consideration for the audience. Being in the position of hindsight: would you have felt comfortable asking her to wait until after the speaking part of the demo to get some more clear, uninterrupted shots (and have an opportunity to find out what she wanted them for?)

People have no manners in public these days  It used to be folks asked about taking photos now its shoot away. I have seen this shift at my booth at shows so I'm none to surprised at your story. If its public place expect it all..

Many at shows think that photos of the work will be knocked off in China (depending on the medium ) I have always believed that if someone wants to knock off whatever I'm making go for it as its still going to be high fire reduction and thats not much of a knock off field as its expensive to make no matter.

These days its more phone photos than real cameras with lens at least at art shows. Now and again someone with a camera will ask if its ok and I have yet to say no. I have not seen a boatload of my work yet at cost plus world market.

Maybe you have said only 50 photo limit please.

Mark

Unfortunately, weird people at public events is pretty much common, as you'll find out with the posts yet to be

written.  Whether you're paid or volunteer to demonstrate we mostly do it for educational purposes.  Some

demonstrate to past the time or promote the craft.  Not many but some people who watch my demos treat

them as a free workshop.  You can tell by the amount of questions from one person, if the questions exceed

the normal 4 - 5 and go to 15, 20 plus.  I no longer answer that many questions. 

Sometimes I ask the question to them.  There is sometimes that one person who says, "golly, I'm

interested in making primitive pottery too!!"  My question is, "So whats your favorite book on the subject?

Ans. : "Book?"  Its cheap entertainment for me and breaks the monotony.

Back to your big event...I guess try to learn from it... From now on, expect her or someone like her to

be at every event and when they don't show up, count it as a blessing.

Hopefully, nothing will come to pass on this picture taking issue.  Maybe she is infacuated with people

demonstrating a craft in public.  Keep us posted if the pictures turn up from your personal paparazzi. :)

Alabama

I'm pretty lucky that I've not had such a problem. I guess because I'm kinda scary-looking in spite of my super happy demeanor (chubby with vampire-red hair, black clothes with scary band logos and rings all over my face, lmao), people think I'm gonna eat their spleens if they mess with my work. :D I definitely would have said something to her. What a weirdo...and coming from me, that's saying something!! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived