Shortage Because Of The Weather Up North

Has anybody else's local clay supplier ran out of clay? I'm in florida and my local supplier can't get his clay from up north cause of the cold. This is the third week i have been trying to get clay from him and he says he has hopes of next Thursday(not tommorrow but the next). My students wanted some white 240 but looks like the semester will be over by the time my clay dude gets his clay order. Anybody else having a supply problem?

Yes, most clay suppliers wont ship clay during cold months where the temperature is likely to go below freezing. If the water in the clay freezes it will damage the workability of the clay, necessitating a long, laborious process to return it to a workable state. Some suppliers will ship during the cold months, but will tell you that frozen clay will be non-returnable or refundable.

I haven't had any problems but I buy a clay that is made about 80 miles from me,  don't they have any locally made clay in Florida?   Maybe you could stretch your students wings and buy a different clay.  My professors in college would often switch clays, to help you grow, struggle and discover.    Denice

This happens most winters.   I use Laguna clay which is drop shipped from their warehouse in Ohio.  The shipment goes to Memphis, TN and overnights and then on to Jackson, MS and overnights there.   Also, the trucking company, R&L is aware of the situation.  For sure we would see shortages if Laguna didn't constantly check weather in all 3 areas and look for windows of opportunity to ship. I do get a pallet  in mid December before the weather really stays cold.    Laguna looks for a window in January/February to send a shipment.  There was only one time during February when we could get clay and Laguna shipped out to me and my supplier.  The cooperation of Laguna, my distributor and the trucking company has avoided any supply interruptions ...so far.  So maybe ... more advance planning for your distributor?

I order my yearly shipment from Laguna in the fall before weather issues come up and after the heat season down in Southern Ca. The clay is less dryed out after this season has pasted.Since our order is so large we get the best price on all aspects trucking etc. I have room to store about 11 tons plus materials. For most of my carreer we had no materials dealer within 250 miles one way so you learn to be independent. Its hard to break this habit after 40 years even now with a store nearby who sells most of this in small quantities.

Mark

Yeah the boxes from Standard Ceramics say do not freeze now. As I didn't know any better in the 80's, I started buying and storing outside over the Winter under a tarp. I haven't changed my habit and actually like the clay after it has frozen, been rewedged, and stored for a few weeks.

Paul I have one bag you can have for free -stop by and pick it up anytime (it may be red art or actually I have both unopened for you).

It may not be cost effective but it will get you warm again.

Mark

Archived