New Work -A Bit Different For Me

I unloaded a few gas fired glaze kilns today-all porcelain . 

I have a friend who was very specific on his plate colors-that is he wanted it all-as its a gift I granted his wish.

I made 7 plates for him and they all came out perfect-Its what I call landscape as its many glazes.

This busy looking combos is becoming more popular is certain areas I have notices so I'm making more mugs and smalls in this combo-its just a lot of glaze work.

Mark

post-8914-0-36586500-1425350435_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-36586500-1425350435_thumb.jpg

Fired to a soft cone 11 about 2 oclock in reduction.

The glazes are home built

There are 6 on this set of seven plates

The brown is called red black its a saturated iron glaze with a dash of Mels which has some rutile in it added as well a small amout from my scrap bucket (the bucket I rinse all stir sticks and mixers in) I add a small amout which helps this glaze out . You wull find most scrap glazes are brownish usually and red black

The orange underglaze is Mels

The black is my zacks black that I have posted the recipe here many times-a saturated cobalt Oxide black with only 3 ingredients

The overglaze is called orange and its a rutile base glaze fron Alfreds I think orginally-it was in ceramic monthly about two decades ago-I have been using it since 1973. The white overglaze is called Billy joes butterwhite which I have altered to segment more.

The gold is Palmamar gold from a small J.C. near San Diego which a old collage mate used to teach and may still.

I am not that familair with Glicks glaze work-I think I have seen his book on extruder stuff and think of his forms but have no mental feeling of glaze work for him.

I should have shot a photo of the backs as well-Maybe in the am.

Its go time here for a big show in Az later this month so time is limited during daylight as I have pots to throw dry and trim.

I love this climate at times-I extruded  60 soap dishes was able to hole them and sponge them and dry them all today (not 100% dry yet) all in the sunlight while unloading a few kilns and packing van.

If you live in a snow state you have my condolences. Except you New Englanders you signed up for it long ago. ( I spent 1 winter in New Hampshire) cured me straight away at 15 years old.

Mark

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Except you New Englanders you signed up for it long ago. ( I spent 1 winter in New Hampshire) cured me straight away at 15 years old.

Hey... I resemble that remark! ;)

best,

.....................john

thanks, pres, for the link to some of glick's work.  the pieces i have date from the 1970's when i was able to buy a chalice for our local church and a small tumbler for myself.  since then i have added a big plate similar to those shown, a longish tray, a teapot and some tiles. i was able to watch him flicking glazes onto many of his plates once on a visit to his studio.  

it is easy to spot a glick but i know there is a british potter whose work is similarly glazed.  (name begins with an M??) cannot remember his name at the moment.

anyone who wants to establish a particular "style" might consider these pieces.  i notice an announcement for a retrospective in 2016 at Cranbrook.  still wish i had been able to go there.

I love the bottom so much!! Did you comb the glazes? I love these circles, it's like a raindrop fell there!

Those are trim marks that make that look combed-I leave marks where work was done-many try to cover the way things are made . My esthetic and belief is leave some of how it was made on the piece.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Just a bit of visual candy for those of you that have not seen J. Glick's work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=John+Glick+pottery&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=c8H1VKybB-SwsAS1rYHgBw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1536&bih=732&dpr=1.25

Enjoy,

best,

Pres

That work reminds me of some of my favorites I have said on Pinterest. I think his name is Chris Baskin. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=chris+baskin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDk529_qDPAhUFFx4KHX2yBK8Q_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=612#imgrc=zQ4mAUzEX275pM%3A

Archived