I am still in survival mode here, we got hit by an inch of slush/ice yesterday. Tonight drops to 20F. so  if we don't get it off it will be solid and hard to deal with. At the same time the rivers of water from todays rain and last nights slush have to be kept cleared or they will ice up. Get into the shop? Wouldn't do me much good as I don't have the time. I have to go up to my sister in laws to dig her out next, she is dealing with water coming in through her living room window/walls.

More cold weather than the average winter in Mississippi this year.  My area is weather proofed now.  The closed in kiln area stays between 40-50 degrees, now with direct access from drying room.   My studio is in a house that has gas heaters, propane.  For the first 2 years I was scared to use the gas heat (even though it turns on with no match) but now I use it.  The studio is warm.   Haven't missed a single weather related day this year.   My glaze person missed 4 days, due to icy roads (really only 1 day had enough ice to matter.....).  Since I live right next to the studio now,  weather is no problem.

Gearing up for summer with a new deck and lounging area.

DirtRoads we were without power for Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday due to the 8 inches of snow on Wednesday. Today it is 77* going down to 26* and freezing rain tonight with only a high of 36* tomorrow.

Deer season kept me busy the last half of December and all of January. My studio has heat but the water line supplying the studio also has 2 outdoor spigots that will freeze. Haven't had the water on out there since mid-December due to 20* nights.

I am getting onery from not having pressure release time in the studio.

Come on Spring, warm weather, and Turkey season!!

This was taken Wednesday around 6 pm during the height of the snow storm. Had 2 trailcams out.

post-13363-0-88289100-1425496901_thumb.jpg

post-13363-0-88289100-1425496901_thumb.jpg

I did some cleaning and re-arranging during the coldest part of the winter. Only 1 hour a day, wearing gloves (grin).

And I worked on a few more Chawan, taking the clay and tools up into my living room... :rolleyes:

Last Monday I started to work in my basement studio again, keeping the heater near me. It's approx. 53F in my studio without the heater on (brrrrr...).

All in all it wasn't an especially cold winter here in Switzerland. But I can't wait till the air gets warmer outside!

Evelyne

Spring is 14 days away! Projected temps at the end of 8 here in PA = 54F. That my friends is a heat wave. Perhaps I'll hurry it along with a glaze load of pottery waiting to be glazed, maybe even warm up the clay enough to throw another bisque load. Lots of stuff to finish up, and maybe enough heat to be ambitious enough to clean out the shop! Summer has to be coming!

• 10 months later...

This year I'll probably split wheel throwing between my house and the art center.

Both have water and heat, and wheels! The art center lies between home and work.

It has 3 wheels and a slab roller, and an electric kiln.

For reduction stoneware I plan to enroll Friday at the community college 132 miles away so I will have access to their 40 cubic foot Baileys gas kiln. Maybe once or twice a month, run up and back for the day. I have two events for April to get ready for! :). See ya,

Alabama

Marcia:

I do all my bisque firing during the spring, summer and fall- in order to have inventory for any winter orders. I do have an 8 x 10 heated area inside my studio for winter time glazing. I read all the time, but winter is my high intensity studying time. Currently I am studying glass slumping, and glass forming and shaping techniques. Ordered several books on the topic and have read the first one twice already. Going to test my learning ability this spring when I try to marry porcelain and glass trims. If you hear faint screaming on windy days- that would be me opening a kiln. Sold my construction/development business office/warehouse last week, one of the last things I needed to do to retire completely. Part of my retirement income, but I might have to cut some loose for a VPM-60TE.

Nerd

Archived