Has Anyone Else Tried This?

A few weeks ago, I was perusing through the video archives here and came across this:

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramic-supplies/ceramic-colorants-ceramic-supplies-2/pottery-video-of-the-week-how-to-combine-homemade-customizable-underglaze-transfers-with-paper-stencils-for-a-beautiful-layered-effect/

I tried making a transfer using this method today but I think I must be doing something wrong. I followed Erin's directions to the letter: a 50/50 mix of gerstly borate and mason stain, add water to a thin consistency, apply two coats to a glazed tile, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I pressed as hard as my arthritic old hands could do, but it doesn't look to me as though it has picked up enough of the concoction onto the paper to achieve a good transfer.

Has anyone else tried this? Did you use a special kind of paper? Erin states that just plain printer paper will work, but I'm kind of wondering. I let the first coat dry on the tile before giving it a second coat, and after watching her video again, I'm wondering if maybe that's where I went wrong.  Picture me shrugging my shoulders here. She just makes it look so simple and easy.....................

One of my previous instructors had demonstrated this technique for one of our class projects. It doesn't really require a huge amount of pressure for the image to transfer to the paper but I think the key is finding the right tool to use. A mechanical pencil may be too sharp and pierce through the paper, a ball point pen or dull pencil may be the way to go. We just used regular paper and it worked just fine. Like she mentioned, it's really important for the clay to be wet enough to pick up the design. It is a really cool technique but at the time, I was not entirely sure what else I wanted to do on the piece other than the designs. I hadn't seen this video so thank you for sharing! I really like the idea of using paper stencils and maybe some scraffito as well so may revisit this technique.

A lot of the designs I made at the time were henna inspired and the thin lines were difficult to pick up on the paper. At the time, I was drawing the design directly on the paper with the tile behind it, so I had a lot of trouble with picking up smudges on the paper. If I had to do it again, I would definitely draw my design on the paper beforehand and then just trace it while it is on the tile (like in the video).

Good luck!

Archived