Brent Wheel Chirpping

Benzine

We may never get to Ben's actual question..but an inaugural post and response deserves a gold star...or a trophy...oh, heck break out the band, let's have a parade!!  WooHoo!! *snicker*

Meanwhile back Chirp City...I've seen something get snagged on a belt that caused an annoying, repetitive squeak/chirp sound.  I hope it isn't more than that.

-Paul

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, and now a dedicated place to do so!

Lately, my Brent ie wheel, makes a chirping sound, after it's been running a while. Any ideas, as to the cause, and how to address it?

Also FIRST!!!!!

I own 5 brents right now and most noises are from belts-to tight to loose-not lined up pulleys-or rarely worn bearing-I have only seen this once in 40 years.

Try see if both pullys are lined up well after you take the under cover off if it has one.

If that looks good losen the motor tighting piece of steel hanging off the leg and ethier tighten or loosen and see what this does.

Let us know if this fixes it. Its usually is pretty simple.

Mark

• 1 month later...

So I finally got done with some other project, and was able to get off my butt, or in this case, on my butt, to crawl under the wheel and give things a look.

While taking the cover off, I discovered either the factory, or more likely, the previous owner sheared one of the screws, holding the cover on.  I was initially concerned, as that may have meant, that someone had already been poking around "under the hood", due to a problem.

Upon initial inspection, the pulleys and belts looked immaculate.  I did a quick inspection of everything, then turned the wheel on.  I didn't hear the sound, which didn't surprise me, as I never heard it right away.  So I let the wheel go a little while, as sometimes, that's when it would manifest itself.  Still, I heard nothing.  Then I slowed the wheel from max speed, to about three-quarter.  That's when I heard the sound.  I was a little worried, because it was coming from the vicinity of the motor.  So I took the belt off, and tried running the motor without  it.  I tried all speeds, for a while, and heard no repeat in the sound.  

So I ran a cloth over the belt, and put it back on.  

After some testing, I haven't heard the sound again.

I've got some projects to work on soon, so we'll see if the chirping starts again.  Hopefully not.  But even if it does, I'm fairly confident, that it is not a huge issue.

Archived