Crumb Management

So I do lots of carving on leather hard clay resulting in lots of little clay crumbs. I work at a desk and try to keep them on the desk top but they often end up on the floor and get kicked around and crunched into nasty dust. wet mopping seems to create slurry. 

I recently bought a small hand held vac with a hepa filter. also am making an apron with a sort of kangaroo pouch to catch crumbs while I carve things i am holding in my lap.

Any other ideas for us copious crumb makers?  Rakuku

Carve in the bath.....?  lol.

Get a car boot liner, the cheap ones made of that crinkly poly/plastic.  Staple the top edge of one side to the desk, staple/sew apron strings on the centre of the opposite edge to tie around your waist while sitting at the desk, then brush the crumbs into the liner before they dry out too much.    Then post a picture.

a thick terrycloth towel works for me.  to move the crumbs off the tabletop, use an old credit card or something else thin and stiff that can be scraped into the towel.  fold the towel and take it outside to snap it.

the advantage of the terrycloth is that once a crumb falls into it, it cannot get out.

my ideal would be a flattish drawer under the tabletop to hold the terrycloth.  slide it out only when needed.

using a terrycloth towel on my lap and a strip of 6 inch high aluminum is my substitute for a splash pan.  works great, little cleanup and i don't have that big plastic thing in the way all the time.  a towel on the tabletop keeps crumbs corralled.

Carve in the bath.....?  lol.

Get a car boot liner, the cheap ones made of that crinkly poly/plastic.  Staple the top edge of one side to the desk, staple/sew apron strings on the centre of the opposite edge to tie around your waist while sitting at the desk, then brush the crumbs into the liner before they dry out too much.    Then post a picture.

And when you're settled in ther elet us know and we can start ringing your doorbell, and I bet the tool you really need is on the other side of the studio.

Archived