Coating For Bottom Of Pots

Even though after I grind the bottom of my pots they feel very smooth, it makes me nervous to put them on fine furniture for fear of causing scratches if they are moved. I sometimes put those little stick on felt dots on the the bottoms, but I would rather have some kind of a coating I can paint on that will make sure there's no abrasiveness. 

I've never had a problem with causing scratches and I'd like to keep it that way.

Well, terra sig on the feet really helps, even though it shows up the slightest tiny marks.  It does, however, make them feel smoother. Of course you do that at the bone dry stage. And you still need to wax before glazing, But the smoothness from the burnished terra sig lasts through the glaze firing.

I usually burnish the living bajeebers out of the foot ring of my pieces, right after the trimming process. I typically use a polished rock that I have, and just hold it to the foot ring while letting the wheel turn at a fairly high rate of speed. This burnishing, so far, seems to hold up quite well through both the bisque and glaze firings.  

Don't put anything on the bottoms of the pots. I use a gritty stoneware and right out of the firing the pots are super rough. But just a minute with a 60-80 grit sandpaper, hand sanding it real quick knocks the rough parts off immediately and you can get even the grittiest bottom baby butt smooth.

I have started to sand the bottom of my pots real fast but with great results. I bought those hand diamond polishing pads. I bought 200 grit, 400 grit and 800 grit. I put a little water on the bottom of the pot with a sponge, just damp it. Then I put on my mask, and hit the bottom of the foot with the 200 grit for about 20 seconds, then 400 grit for about 20 seconds then 800 grit for about 20 seconds. Makes the bottom super smooth. I even put it on my kitchen table, which is a 200$ ikea special, that scratches super easy and I get 0 scratches with that.

I should mention that I also burnish during the trimming process as well. But I want high quality pots when I go to sell them eventually I want all these small details to add up.

Archived