Standard Clay #762 Questions

RobS

Greetings,

I recently purchased a box of Standard 762 moist clay.  I bought it because I've always been interested in flame/kitchen ware and thought I'd try making myself some.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff?  It is very strange to throw, it is quite soft but not very moist.  It seems almost chalky and needs a large amount of water to throw well.  I may just have to throw more with the clay and get used to its properties.  It has pyrophyllite as an ingredient which I'm not familiar with.

Secondly, and more important,  according to Standard, this clay has a 5% (yes, 5, no mistyping) shrinkage and I'm worried about proper glaze fit.  I bisque to cone 04 and fire to cone 6, oxidation in an electric kiln.

I have a bunch of test tiles made up in anticipation of fit testing a glaze or glazes.  I'm wondering if you good folks may have a recipe or two, or some advice about modifying an existing glaze for use on a very low shrinkage clay body.  My current glazes are mostly purchased dry from a local supplier but I have a few that I have made/tweaked from available recipes.  If anyone would have a recipe for me as a starting point for this very low shrinkage clay, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks and stay warm,

Rob

I think you are in for the long haul . . . you'll need to get the coefficient of thermal expansion for the clay body from Standard and then run glaze recipes through a good glaze software package to adjust them to the clay body fit.  And the fit could vary among firing temperatures.  Then testing to see if they actually hold up under extremes.  Lots of trial and error . . . based on reading the articles/websites of others who are making flame/kitchen ware.  Most seem to fire cone 9 and above; the Standard clay is rated cones 6 to 9, so you are firing at the low end of the range which is also less shrinkage (based on Standard's website) -- 5% at cone 6, 7% at cone 9.  Most stonewares shrink in the 10% to 12% range, porcelains even more. 

Archived