How Do You Price Your Stuff?

As a buisness you would take every thing into account

Studio cost heat, air, electric, insurance, eqipment, equipment life, uniforms, sweeping the floors, marketing, ect.

Determine what amount of money you need to make, to operate for a year.

Pick a number... What do you wish to make as income per year and how much time are you going to spend to get there.

Figure out your how long it takes you to make a peticular item and figure out the maximum dollar figure that you can sell that item for.

Anyone can gut price and sell cup for $15.00 to $20.00

You need to know if that makes you money.

If it's not making money, you need to make a change.

Increase production.. Add employees', Change the way it is made.

Create more percieved value...change the look

Change who you sell it to...You could sell at a flea market or sell at a upscale gallery.

If  it does not make you enough money, get rid of it and pick something that will do better.

Clients want you to make money. Clients want to support a winner.

I know what I need to make in a year

Some things are more profitable than others, but you can't put all of your apples in one basket.

I will not continue to make something that will loose money.

If you do something for nothing people will use you untill you fail, Then they will be off to someone else.

People in general want you to be a succsess. Pricing is ultimatly up to you. It should be based on making a profit that is acceptable to you.

Great reply Mug.

rakukuku, we've had some threads about pricing before. Here's a link:

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/5764-business-forum-f-a-q-listing/?p=53647

There is lots of good advice, but no quick or formulaic answers. Figuring out your prices is a long-term process, and it gets easier the more you do it.

It depends on what you want to get out of it. If you are creating sculpture that takes a long time, your prices would be higher than if you were selling mugs.

If you price your work too low, you are undercutting your colleagues. Word gets around fast and you will be ostracized.

Check out a number of galleries and set a fair price according to what others are offering for their work.

I was in my city gallery yesterday. I saw some woodfired mugs priced at $40.00 each. They were beautiful, though I would never buy them. My mugs were on the next shelf over, priced at $18.00 each. I resolved to raise my mug price to $20.00.

I want to make lots of mugs and sell lots of mugs, I don't want them sitting around in a gallery. Therefore my prices are on the low end, but not too low.

TJR.

Since my work relies mostly on my illustrations as the main selling point, my pricing depends on the level of detail the illustration has and how cleanly the glaze turned out. I either keep for myself or smash any pieces with the slightest imperfections, as my illustrations do not take well to re-firing--the black outlines will bleed, and I have a thing about refusing to sell work I find to be shoddy. I think this is also why I take so long to complete a kiln load. I only fire three or four times a year! :)

My wee rice bowls start at $30, but can go clear up to $100, depending on the effort I put into them. ♥

Archived