Hey guys and gals. I'm working on a white locally produced commercial claybody which is my favorite at the moment. I have 200 lbs of it to work through. It is only very lightly grogged. I am going to be doing some more testing with my own locally sourced lake clay but in the meantime I want to give this clay some more bite to it. Rather than grog, can I use silica sand or regular stream sand or something? I like the Korean's texture of the Maksabal which has just enough texture because they are using indigenous clay which is filled with impurities and is sieved leaving behind some of the bigger textured bits.

Oh forgot to add that I am firing to cone 6 in oxidation.

Silica sand does work. Any native material I'd test first, just to see how it melts at cone 6. It could be kinda melty, and that can be cool, but it's good info to have beforehand. Wood fire pots sometimes have all sorts of chunky feldspathic rock, ground granite and other wonderful and weird inclusions. It's part of the charm.

Edit: river sand may contain iron impurities, which if you're prizing the unsullied white of your clay may not be desirable. Or it could have aesthetic appeal, if you like specks.

silica sand will work

i find it too fine

i like the 40 plus fines grog

you could always mill down your bisque scraps.....  (slege hammer and bucket)  and screen out big chunks

then you could mill down chicken grit (granite)

perlite?

make sure your sand is clean...  i have a few bags from epk .......

http://www.claystore.alfred.edu/rawmats/presentations/Raw%20Mats/Class-4%20%28fillers%29.pdf

ive thought about milliing down some turface, aka calcined caly  but never did it  

Archived