Art Crit Zingers

The Cosmetology teacher across the hall from the art room said to me once; "Why don't you ever wear pastel coloured shirts?"

I replied; "Why would I wear pastels when I can wear pure colour?"Add expletive if you wish, to taste. :huh:

TJR.

You need to start painting in brighter colors.

I paint most everything in dark colors. Don't know why. I need to stop. I need brightness in my mind when I paint.

Pbfth, wee on that! ♥ Dark colors are beautiful. I usually work with dark colors that have lots of baroque lighting. The only thing I use bright colors for are touches of highlights. My favorite color is alizarin crimson! ^_^

Though, bright colors can add to the creepy factor, too. Here's a poster-sized piece I made ofvthis super talented drummer I know who sadly is in the grip of a bad meth addiction. I like to guinea-fy people sometimes, and his story kinda spoke to me. Tells of past, present, and future, and I used colors to aid the narrative. 99% of the people who first see this in person say, "Holy ess-aitch-eye-tee." That pleases me. ^_^

post-63665-0-06807900-1423691607_thumb.jpg

post-63665-0-06807900-1423691607_thumb.jpg

You need to start painting in brighter colors.

I paint most everything in dark colors. Don't know why. I need to stop. I need brightness in my mind when I paint.

Pbfth, wee on that! ♥ Dark colors are beautiful. I usually work with dark colors that have lots of baroque lighting. The only thing I use bright colors for are touches of highlights. My favorite color is alizarin crimson! ^_^

Though, bright colors can add to the creepy factor, too. Here's a poster-sized piece I made ofvthis super talented drummer I know who sadly is in the grip of a bad meth addiction. I like to guinea-fy people sometimes, and his story kinda spoke to me. Tells of past, present, and future, and I used colors to aid the narrative. 99% of the people who first see this in person say, "Holy ess-aitch-eye-tee." That pleases me. ^_^

You're right. Holy es aitch eye tee.

My ex's favourite colour was alizarine crimson. I know the colour well. It is etched behind my eyeballs. But we are getting off topic here

Hear what :D  :D  :D  TJR????

Not like you at all, the image must have stalled your brain....

Not sure what THe guinea potter is doing to her companions! Great illustrations

I apologize. When I re-read that, I couldn't believe my misspelling. I am over her/hear,hair,har..no, really.. over..ha..ha! :mellow::huh:  .

I was only allowed two emoticoms. Who knew there was a limit?!!

Bill Daley used a phrase at our critiques regarding form and /or color..."tingle your gonads" .

I always felt that was a zinger. Another was "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Michael Cardew; "There is no accounting for taste."

T

SOme folks, a gender issue???, link everything to their gonads, have a heart! Therein lies a generalisation. Language is the vehicle for thought in some fields so when artists start to talk of their work or that of others, it may not be their strongest field of expression. 

Archived