2014 Wrap Up-Great Year

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my tax prep for account appointment next week.

Looks like 2014 was one of the best years I have ever had in ceramics

Double edged at best-as my quarterly payments will rise a bit

This comes at a time I'm cutting back a tad (or so I thought) a few less shows

All categories are up-  consignment -wholesale- in state shows-out of state shows.

I'm doing less shows so it more sales per location and raising my prices which accounts for the most of this.

A general high demand for work and improving economy also contributes to this uptick.

This week I go back into studio for another year of clay work as my 6 week break from clay is over.

Now I wish I could say I have had my feet up this whole time but after putting in a rain catchment system for garden water in drought times and installing a new forced air heater system (95.5 effecent) under house and am just wrapping up a hot water circulation system for less water use-and orchard pruning that is not the case.

This year I will do the exact same shows (I'm going to tell my customers at one show its my last year there)Next year I'll cut one to 2 shows after the years notice for customers.

I want to slowly downsize and in doing this I'm finding making more money is often the outcome when cutting expenses. Finding your sweet spot is the goal.

The last time I cut some shows I made more as well-its always a guessing game between expenses and profit.

One thing for sure after over 40 years in clay sales Its always a learning experience.

Now I really need to get some clay work done as I'm very low on stock .

Mark

Congratulations on a great year. I know from previous posts of yours that you are in your mid sixties right? You say you are slowing down but I also know you often put in time and a half hours.

Are you working toward retirement or do you see yourself working at this full time 10 years from now?  

Yes I'm 61 and at this point I could stop working/playing with clay and retire as you say. But why would I -its who I am and what I do-so slowing down and doing less clay s what I want to do.I have about 10,000 other interests to keep me busy

Someday I will not drive many states away to sell pots but I still like it-the shows go away slowly  1st as galleries and wholesale is so easy. 

As far a retirement savings-I have been doing that since I was in my early 40's

I have a few potter friends who get burned out and I do not want to be one of them.

I still like the customers and the feedback and my sales are somewhat dialed at this point. I just slowly want to do less of it-its not all about money anymore .

I will not be working full time in 10 years I can say that without a doubt.

Mark

Good for you Mark. It's inspiring to read that your drive is still high after 30 years of full-time pottery. I am now 44 and honestly am not sure I will still be doing this full-time in my 60s. As you know it's a very physical job. But then again years go by so quickly now, and my drive is still high too. I guess time will tell. Anyhow you bring up another piece of good advice for working artists ... don't forget to save for retirement! My current retirement plan will allow me to stop working cold turkey at age 59.5. It's good to have that option, in case my body is falling apart then.

• 2 weeks later...

One reason  the year was so good is I made lots of pots-

My natural gas bill for all of 2014 which includes studio heat was $ 3,910.00.

This gas meter serves only my kiln and studio-not the house.

This is for 25 car kiln loads(35 cubic loading space) (both bisque and glaze fires) so thats 50 fires total on this kiln as well as 18 small 12 cubic updraft glaze only fires

(no bisques)

I also had 10 bisque fires in my skutt 1227 which I think is 7 cubic feet.

As far as saving for getting old I suggerst a ROTH IRA or a SEP iRA or both.

Start putting away $ for that rainy day as its one of the better things to do early in life-I started late-(age 37) and got serious about it by my middle 40's.

Mark

Archived