I don't think the firing temperature really changes the food safety levels all that much--it mostly depends on the ingredients of the glaze, clay, underglaze, etc. From what I read, LEGIT oldschool cuerda seca ware is a no-no to eat off of. I'm not certain of the toxic elements involved (I assume it's probably lead), but to be safe, I would avoid serving wet foods and anything with citrus (such as oranges with the peel) on it. Crackers and potato chips should be okay, though. :)

I don't think the firing temperature really changes the food safety levels all that much--it mostly depends on the ingredients of the glaze, clay, underglaze, etc. From what I read, LEGIT oldschool cuerda seca ware is a no-no to eat off of. I'm not certain of the toxic elements involved (I assume it's probably lead), but to be safe, I would avoid serving wet foods and anything with citrus (such as oranges with the peel) on it. Crackers and potato chips should be okay, though. :)

Nameste, TheGuineaPotter, Thanks for helping me. I just found a product on this website: http://artisticceramics.net/Artistic_Line_Resist.html. It is non-toxic and food safe, so I hope it will work for what I need. I will order it and then report my findings. Nameste. Stay well, do kind deeds and keep in touch.

:)

we use cuerda seca all the time at our studio fired to cone 10. but the stuff is just a mixture of minerl oil and black mason stain so i guess it depends what you put in it.  we have a lot of tile makers that use it but also on table ware.  rakuku

we use cuerda seca all the time at our studio fired to cone 10. but the stuff is just a mixture of minerl oil and black mason stain so i guess it depends what you put in it.  we have a lot of tile makers that use it but also on table ware.  rakuku

Hey thanks friend. I will be trying it on ^6. Does it matter what brand of mineral oil? 

Archived