Submit Your Community Challenge Ideas

I made some suggestions in the original thread.  Some type of theme, like "Nature" or "Technology".  Or since it's the first contest, we could do a "My Style" or "Self-Portrait".  It would just be making something that describes you, not an actual depiction of yourself... unless of course that is your style.

I wonder if the Admins might consider making the challenge its own section, like "In The Studio," for example! Lotsa people seem interested, so this has the potential to REALLY jam up other forum topics. It'd be a great way to keep things nice 'n tidy, not to mention easy to find! ^_^

My topic suggestion is "heritage." Like, make a piece that's about one's cultural background! ^_^ We have a pretty diverse group here; could be fun!

I like the idea of motion

Weather extremes

Multi functional vessels

My point being that I as a newbie could earn points for execution on the concept, and still be in the running, whilst those with lots of wisdom and experience could push the limits with technical and conceptual meshings.

Pres . . . would you consider pinning this and the community challenge #1 post so they don't get lost among the other posts?

I made sure to tag the threads with 'community challenge' so a search should be able to find them easily if they are not stickied.

Lotsa people seem interested, so this has the potential to REALLY jam up other forum topics.

I don't think it will jam up the forum, there is only really the one thread or maybe two if you count the ideas proposal thread. The original thread will sink to the depth soon enough.

I like the idea of motion

Weather extremes

Multi functional vessels

My point being that I as a newbie could earn points for execution on the concept, and still be in the running, whilst those with lots of wisdom and experience could push the limits with technical and conceptual meshings.

You could probably get some weather extremes into the sky project :D I do like the motion idea. 

There will be no running in the studio  :P only a leisurely stroll.

On a serious note, there is no kind of competition, just a results thread. Maybe I should explain that in the rules.

Something that is more like a sketch problem might have a broad reach...like, start with one cubic inch of clay and make something functional? something whimsical? something humanoid?

These could be quicker turnaround projects while the quarterly thing happen,

'just a thought,

-Paul

Pres . . . would you consider pinning this and the community challenge #1 post so they don't get lost among the other posts?

I made sure to tag the threads with 'community challenge' so a search should be able to find them easily if they are not stickied.

HBP --

Pinning keeps them at the head of the forum . . . otherwise, after a few weeks, the topics will become buried in the back pages (cue Bob Dylan).  Also, while the current membership is aware of the challenge, the next 1,000 people to join CAD will not be and not be  aware of the tags to search.  To keep this going beyond just the first of first few events, its needs a prominent place on the page for folks to see.  Just a thought, though.  The idea of separate forum would also work, but I suspect CAD will want to monitor the first contest to see interest, responses, etc. before committing to something like that.

Bruce

I was imagining a series related to the sea/wind idea:

Imagine making either a collection of 5 individual pieces, or one piece incorporating, each of the five Chinese Wu Xing 'elements' or phases: earth, metal, water, wood, fire. You could use the words concretely or metaphorically, constructively (as listed) or destructively (earth, water, fire, metal, wood). Mixed media, illustration, etc all part of the challenge.

Limitations: you have to include all five phases in your final entry, and you cannot submit your final entry until your entire contribution is complete. (By this, I mean that the image you submit might contribute to your vision, so if it's a collection, the final entry has all of the pieces arranged by your hand as the final image submission.)

BTW, my name is Myrtle, which was already taken upon sign up to the forum ;>. The dr part simply adds biographical information not otherwise necessary.

• 3 months later...

I would be interested in reading the artists' comments/thoughts/interpretations along with the picture of their entry.

I agree with you there, I did think about transferring any comments made with the entry posts but I was struggling to find any time to get the thread posted. Next time I will make sure to do this :D