Community Challenge #1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" it broke while taking to kiln for bisque firing."

Robin, I too do a lot of transporting.  Bisqueware goes into boxes and then I stuff those plastic shopping bags around them.  Works great.  But tnen, maybe you don't usually have a problem and the pieces were just especially fragile?

I've made two attempts so far that haven't worked out. The first ones actually turned out nice, they're just not what I was going for (not suggestive of sky or atmosphere). The second ones are at least functional, but with ugly messed-up glaze. Hazards of being an amateur I guess...

My problem is taking it from upstairs where my wheel is to the basement where the kiln is.  So I put a few in a basket at a time and carefully go downstairs.  This time I think the kitty obstacle course was more challenging so my stuff rattled while carrying and it was fragile so ONLY the things I had planned for the challenge got messed up.  Bummer.

Never fear, some of us a working steadily towards a goal. My problem is that I've had so many ideas come up within the making of whatever this final piece is that it's getting a little out of hand. (You'll appreciate the problem when I finally submit.) I took the term "atmosphere" to the origin of the Latin "atmos" which means pressure, which fed into a hilarious project I work on facets of now and again.

Having this challenge has been very rewarding already for me personally. Released into the atmosphere/universe, my imagination is completely freed from any semblance of functionality. Thanks, High Bridge.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I was testing some slips yesterday and thought why not try and turn this into an entry. I am flying by the seat of my pants here, very little idea what it is going to turn out like. :D

The plan is to put a blue glaze over and have something that resembles a rainy sky. Hard to see that now, or maybe even when it is finished.

Different slips have, titanium oxide, frits, irons, nickel.

post-23281-0-89529700-1429792384_thumb.jpg

post-23281-0-89529700-1429792384_thumb.jpg

I won't make the deadline---not even close--just got the studio finished (i.e. workable) and the kiln installed/wired/vented (on the back screen porch, which couldn't be weather-proofed until the snow banks dropped to a foot instead of the 3-4' pile-up). Hope there is a #2...really want to participate!  :(

Well I was testing some slips yesterday and thought why not try and turn this into an entry. I am flying by the seat of my pants here, very little idea what it is going to turn out like. :D

The plan is to put a blue glaze over and have something that resembles a rainy sky. Hard to see that now, or maybe even when it is finished.

Joel - are these the slips you were mixing on your recent YouTube posting? What's the splattered red?

It'll be an exciting kiln opening whether it 'works' to fulfil the brief or not.

I might have something to post before 29th - collection of bisque awaiting decoration in the studio...all depends on how the next stage goes, always the 'dodgy' but of the process for me...fingers crossed!

Celia

I first made it as on overglaze decoration so it was to add a bit of glass forming so the iron oxide did not matt the glaze under. It melted too much and spread into the glaze so now I use it to number my test tiles. Thought it could add something different to the piece. Should be cooled down by the time I get in the studio after work :D will post final entry later.

Final Entry.

I'm hoping I've done this correctly. My entry is the result of an explosion in my community studio kiln.

It started life as a bowl but now it's a winged creature hovering in the sky waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting!

I do love a good story.

Sally

post-30637-0-43978400-1430079016_thumb.jpg

post-30637-0-43978400-1430079016_thumb.jpg

Archived