Community Challenge #1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a fun anecdote about my online name. Perhaps I should make one up later. I'm fine with being called Dana, or Zuul. I tend to be fairly literal in my interpretation of a theme. I think of clouds and sunsets, storms, and starry nights. I had some bowls I made with clouds and snowflakes that I really liked when I made them that I thought of for this challenge. Upon revisiting them, I have decided I no longer like them. Maybe I will start a stuff I made and don't like now gallery and post them there.

I don't know what it says about my personality, but I saw "sky and/or atmosphere" and my mind lept to the night time sky.  Round. Majestic. Celestial.  Rich color that must be drawn from the surrounding darkness.

I have read these forums for almost two years drawing knowledge and inspiration.  The challenge has inspired me to contribute.

Thanks for the inspiration,

I'm in.

Anthony

(yes, that is my real name)

I like it very much indeed: some tell their name, some don't, but everybody is talking about it. Best forum in the world!

Anthony: welcome to the "club". So great the challange inspired you to emerge. We hope to see and read a lot from and about you.Night time sky - makes you a Romantic? Looking forward to see your contribution.

Happy day all

Evelyne

FINAL ENTRY - EVELYNE SCHOENMANN

Jed, that is just too coincidental! I just took photos of my installation called: "They used to call me balloon". It was exhibited last year in a show and should represent an exploded balloon. It was mounted on two pedestals and I’ve put a few shards on the floor and put a rope in front of the installation. But the shards “kept wandering†outside of the rope and people accidentally stepped on them and then, hearing the crack under their feet, they feared they broke a piece of art….

A friend of mine said: “It's more like a performance piece than an installation with the gallery visitors being the unwitting performersâ€

Since I’am leaving for Italy in a few days and then, in March, leaving for the States (NCECA), I won’t be able to produce something new for the challange in the given 3 month. I hope you like this piece.

Evelyne

P1080878

P1070221

Evelyn, I love the piece -- and the story that goes with it is priceless.  It's a shame you don't have time lapse photography showing the unwitting performers furtively glancing around them before they scurry away with bits of broken shards stuck to the soles of their shoes!

Jayne

Hello all, I'm Robin Griffin, as you can see that is where RoGryphon comes from.  Jazzing up my name a bit.  Not very many people actually call me Robin, I seem to get stuck with various nicknames from Lobe (Japanese karate instructor so fellow students thought that was my name), to ROG (my initials), and of course various half pint and other short people names.  I need to talk to Guinea about yarn bowls, love your stuff and I make VERY simple yarn bowls.  May make a cloud themed one or starry night for the challenge, hmm starry night bowl with star cut-outs.  Could be good or the yarn gets stuck in the points, ah decisions, decisions.

So thanks to all who are helping me learn my part time pottery (dang that whole work for and actual salary to pay bills).  You have helped me greatly and love reading the comments etc.

Thanks Jayne! It is not allowed to take photos with people in it at exhibitions here. Except you first ask the person(s): "may I just take a photo of you looking around furtively...." ..... (but then, the joke would backfire....). :D

Welcome to the forum RoG! Are you doing the community challange with us? "Stars" would fit well with the theme...

Evelyne

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a clear vision of what I want to make....but I can't remember what the end date to this challenge is!  Could take me a little while. 

roberta

April 29 is the last day.  You still have plenty of time.  I made something, it fell apart .... lol  Back to the drawing board for me.

Well I obviously have no problem announcing my identity ^^^ see upper left corner, but now I've read about all the bad things that can happen on the interweb if someone uses their real identity, I will be going by Jane Doh from now on :)  and as far as the challenge goes, well I'm hard at work on a life size sculpture of Superman. Hopefully I won't have a problem with shrinkage ;)

• 1 month later...

Over a month on and no posts :( not even work in progress. I know everybody is busy, I haven't even managed to get my entry much past the starting post... 

Just a friendly reminder  :D about a month to go.

I'd worked out a couple of ideas, but unfortunately a combination of work and family stuff, (i.e. my wife has been unexpectedly unable to walk since last November) has not allowed me the time to even look at a lump of clay yet this year let alone work on anything.

The ideas are still there, I quite like them and they may yet come to fruition, but it won't be in time for the challenge.

I have been working on a really tricky thing for the challenge. But the community centre is closed for a whole month and starts again only on April the 12th. I won't be able to have it fired before the deadline :(.

I so wished I had my own studio!

Archived