Community Challenge #1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pbfth! I don't give a poop if you guys know my name is Sarah. I just hate my name and how fifty bajillion other people have the same one. My choir had FIVE Sarahs. Ugh. I hate being called by my name pretty much everywhere...people at shows usually call me either Bunny or Guinea, and I actually feel so happy when they do. I've had a rough life...and my birth name (I'm not a Christian in the slightest) just reminds me of it all. Being called Guinea here makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

I seriously really freaking hate my name. Like, it's personal.

SO PLZ CALL ME GUINEA ♥♥♥♥♥ I LUVS IT

I'd change my name to Guinea if a judge wouldn't call the men in white coats on me... :D

Hey, Benzine! My kid brother's name is Ben! ^_^

Diesel is actually my husband's last name. We're common law, so I'm still Calandra Beller, but Diesel Clay is the name of my business.

When I first chose my avatar and online name, I had little experience posting online and I was worried about weirdos. (Nutters also sell snacks.) I love that this group as a whole doesn't tolerate cruelty. I confess I wanted to obfuscate my gender a bit because I have voiced technical opinions to some groups and been ignored, only to have the guy sitting next to me voice the same thing and be heralded for it. (Face palm)

Callie.

Evelyne, I'm with you too on the name thing.  One of the problems is that the user names are often quite long, hard to write, pronounce and/or remember. Except, of course, for "guinea".  I know, I know, , some first names are that way too.   Anyway, it just seems friendlier, more personal.

I've been brainstorming without much success.

1. Sky could be clouds, storms, wind, birds. It could be stars, space, skyscapes.

2. Atmosphere: altered atmosphere such as nitrogen or argon filled saggars.

Nothing is jumping out at me. Anyone else want to share ideas,......

Jed

Now I'am a happy camper again....

Thank you Ben and and Mark and Paul and Guinea and Callie and Doris and Jed for your postings about using the birth name and for telling us your birth name.

I appologize for using a wrong word: I learned in school that one says Christian name for the first name. English is not my mother tongue. I speak German, Swiss-German and Italian here in Switzerland. English I write only in this forum and on fb and in emails to my English speaking friends, so please be lenient (is that the right word?) with me if I use incorrect words.

I thank those who told us their birth name, and I want to stress that it is no problem for those who won't. Like Ben and Paul already said: I think it's much personel for people who "talk" to each other here in the forum for years already. I had another forum name in the beginning too, but a year ago I decided to trust people here, and I never regrettet it!

Guinea: Sarah is a most beautiful name! But I accept your wish to be called Guinea of course.

Jed: how about: air, levitation, ventilation, aria (music), spirit, spiral, loop.... 

Callie and Doris: I wanted to "like" your posts, but system says I reached my qota of positive votes for the day. Why is there a quota anyway??

Greetings

Evelyne

The first thing that came into my mind when I read "sky" was rainbow.  For many years I've wanted to paint a rainbow in blues.  Now I get my chance to do so and to use some of the cobalt that's sitting in my studio looking at me and wondering when it's turn will come.

As for names, I don't use the term "christian name" as we're not all christians (personal view, no offence taken when other's use the term, I just don't).  I'm happy for you to know I'm Ann, but in Scouts I've been Chil for so long (read Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Stories) but as I'm always cold it usually gets lengthened to Chilly.  I'm variations of Chil, Chilly, Chilli on so many forums that I answer to anything.  Like they say, I don' care what you call me, so long as it isn't late for dinner.

So looking forward to this challenge :-)

Re names,

my Christian names are Alexander John:  everyone in my family (on my fathers side) is known by their second name, not their first, (I don't know why and there's no-one left to ask but I can speculate fairly accurately I think),  it's caused me a few problems over the years with officialdom and so our son is known by his first name - (it's Owen if you're interested).

Anyhoo - my wife started a pottery evening class and for about three years she continued to bring home these small sad misshapen lumps and I thought "How hard can it be? I'll have a go."

She signed me up and when we arrived my wife said to the tutor, "This is John", the tutor looked at her register and said, "Well, who is this Alexander on my register?"

i began to explain and she said "Oh, I cant deal with all that, you'll have to be AyJay" -  and so to everyone at my pottery class I'm Ayjay  -and I've also used it on the net ever since.

You can all call me whatever you like, ( I never listen anyway :D ).

Off to study the sky now - if I can see it through the snow.

So my kilns not ready yet. And I have never fired my own anything . So I don't know if I will be in or out for this challenge, but...

I was reading about what happens in the kiln ( I followed a link in here) . It was a general technical article from google docs, and it went into great detail about the changes the heating and cooling produce , and the variables that happen by introducing different elements. And how in the kiln according to how it's loaded, and the convection, peep holes, vents etc, the results can be totally different due to these changes, unpredictable in fact.

Then I looked up weather, and it said the same thing( of course wo the extreme temperatures and final results) . Kilns have weather, and I guess we are weather gods.

So I think of hurricanes and whirlpools, of course of clouds in their many forms. I think of Venus in her calm shell with the winds blowing her to shore. Sailboats, the ocean in a storm.

How does one depict wind?

I added my name to my posts.  I went through a period of wanting my hair different colors, so I dyed it regularly.  One dye went a bright yellow and when I went to work, a coworker said "well aren't you a big ray of sunshine". So, on the net, I go by Sunshine or Sunny.

Still thinking on the topic also. Sky ... weather ... atmosphere ... it all boggles my mind.

Here are my initial thoughts/inspirations for the Sky-Atmosphere Challenge:

• Layers - Each atmospheric layer (Troposhpere, Stratosphere, etc.) represents a percentage of our atmosphere, perhaps suggesting a division of patern/color/texture vertically on a piece
  • Function - Without a lot of research, we find that the lowest level is where most of our weather happens, the stratosphere is where planes go to find smoother flight, etc. on up to the exosphere where satellites orbit, perhaps suggesting that not only are the layer different in composition but also in what they do/support
  • Relation to architecture/form - I would be remiss if I did not offer the architectural perspective of how atmosphere and architecture/form relate... I could see this alternate definition of atmosphere having an impact on the overall statement that a piece might make with a sky-atmosphere theme.

Happy pondering,

-Paul

Thanks Evelyne for getting all of us going!  My given name is Roberta!  I keep thinking about the sky challenge.  I live in a part of the country where we have huge, beautiful vistas.   Checking the sky is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do before bed at night.  I love how it changes, minute by minute.   And because I can see so much unencumbered sky, the eastern sky can look totally different from the west, north or south.  I would like  to be able to reflect that changing, open, evolving sky.  hmmmm wheels are turning. 

Oh and BTW   How does one post something on recent updates?  I changed the elements and thermocouples last night and was just woo hooing all over the place!  I really wanted to share that!

Roberta

I like the idea of making a lampshade that looks like the sky in the day and when it gets dark stars would shine through the clay. Not sure how that would be executed other than a load of small holes  :huh:

Roberta, very top of the page there is a floating menu where you can sign in/out. If you click on your name it will bring up a box to post 'what's on your mind'  otherwise you can go to your my profile page and click 'profile feed' on the left menus and update it from there.

After the notification I ran out and made and wood fired this WIP. (Joking)

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/3148-work-in-progress-forum-name/

I'll try and re shoot but this piece it is quite blue. I thought it had a some subtle starry night undertones. Both sides of this piece are very atmospheric . I think it has the cooler color pallete like Manet's morning and winter haystacks. Un like This piece is wrought with faults, an contrary of some of its cool tonality It maintains a stormy quality.

Technical : Self made porcelain tile with feldspathic inclusions. Hand hammered tile, wood fired in train kiln. Carbon trapping

Ramble off.

Big Lou,

1) what does "hand hammered" tile mean?

2) those nice cracks in the lower center of the Starry Night piece - how did you create them?

Ben and Stephen, it's good to see that the smart-@$$ ery is alive and well :)

What about atmosphere as it pertains to mood? For example coffee house atmosphere?

If that is the way you wanted to go with atmosphere I don't see any problem. This is hopefully a nice, open and relaxing challenge to get an idea of how things will go :D

Big Lou,

2) those nice cracks in the lower center of the Starry Night piece - how did you create them?

i used a rubber mallet , then a home made clay mallet,  (from scrap lumber) i didnt have a roller to make slab,  i used second mallet to shape and square off piece and wven out thickness.  cracks are product of uneven firing and large grog which were unfortunately not planned,  PS  my first name is not big

Big Lou,

i used a rubber mallet , then a home made clay mallet,  (from scrap lumber) i didnt have a roller to make slab,  i used second mallet to shape and square off piece and wven out thickness.  cracks are product of uneven firing and large grog which were unfortunately not planned,  PS  my first name is not big

Thanks for the info and the big laugh, Little Lou.

Archived