Community Challenge #1

gallery_23281_871_4656.png

Welcome to the community challenge #1

This is a place where we can challenge ourselves alongside other community members to create ceramic works within the constraints set out in each challenge.

The Challenge

This challenge is to make a piece(s) of ceramics that has been influenced from your research into the sky and/or the atmosphere. Your research can include anything that fits into the topic.

Pick an area within the topic that interests you and would like to explore. 

Try to be creative with your research and how you translate that into an idea for your ceramic work. 

No specific item needs to be created for this challenge so the choice is up to you. Good luck.

The Rules

• Everybody can enter the challenge, all you need is a registered account on the forum.
  • Work in progress (WIP) images are encouraged. It can help to talk through your research and ideas but please don't spam the topic. Keep the updates informative and succinct.
  • One final entry per community member with an image no larger than 1024 pixels wide.
  • Upload your image to your galleries and attach to the entry post or use the attachment uploader within the post editor. If you don't it may not make it across to the results thread.
  • Only attach one image to your final entry post along with the words "Final Entry - (Forum name)" This will make sure you are not missed out of the results thread.
  • The challenge will run quarterly and will be
    • 1st February to 29th April, 
    • 1st May to 30st July, 
    • 1st August to 30st October, 
    • 1st November to 30st January.
  • The results thread will be posted on the last day of the ending month. It will be a collection of all the entries into one post for condensed viewing and some post challenge discussion.

The Rest

Remember you are entering for your own enjoyment and there could be a risk that your work develops into something new and exciting.

Be considerate of others and don't post opinions without good reasons to back them up. We are all here to improve and progress with our ceramics.

Some dates may vary slightly as this is a community run project and it will depend on members having access to the forum.

Have any ideas for a challenge? Post them in the ideas thread http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/7794-submit-your-challenge-ideas/

(If there is anything you feel I have missed out, could be improved or doesn't make any sense please send me a personal message.)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're supposed to research stuff?  Gah!  I feel like I'm back in school.

Yes indeed, research!  My research plan includes time in a hammock (or in bed looking through a skylight), staring pensively into the changing clouds above as they drift by...extensive research of this variety is very relaxing but may mean that this project never gets done *snicker*.

-Paul

I was waiting for Feb 1 and the theme of the first challenge.... and it's a challenge indeed. But ok, let's start....

.... oh, before I race down to my studio I have a question/request for you all: would it be possible that we tell each other our real names, so that we can refer to, say, James instead of potterhickghof (that's just an example) when we talk about the pieces? We can leave the avatar's but end our postings with our name, for instance. How about that? We are friends here. No need to hide.

I like to thank High Bridge Pottery (don't know your name, sorry) for your challenge-idea, for the immense work you had (and will have) and for the possibility for us all to know each other and our work better.

Greetings from snowy Switzerland

Evelyne

GEP I am glad you broke the ice for entering a piece but you have three months to go :D

This might be the only way for us full-time working potters to participate ... if we have something on hand that already fits the theme. Glad I was able to do it this time!

After the notification I ran out and made and wood fired this WIP. (Joking)

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/3148-work-in-progress-forum-name/

I'll try and re shoot but this piece it is quite blue. I thought it had a some subtle starry night undertones. Both sides of this piece are very atmospheric . I think it has the cooler color pallete like Manet's morning and winter haystacks. Un like This piece is wrought with faults, an contrary of some of its cool tonality It maintains a stormy quality.

Technical : Self made porcelain tile with feldspathic inclusions. Hand hammered tile, wood fired in train kiln. Carbon trapping

Ramble off.

WIP 2

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/3150-work-in-progress-forum-name/

I sometimes see a meteor shower with this one......this piece is alsol 2 sided. But I think this side as a stronger atmospheric quality. I'm lucky to have opportunity to woodfire. The fire dancing around the wods on this tile create comet tails...... But I find myself questioning which is top. Which way makes is more interesting?

Technical. Iron bearing commercial clay, hand hammered tiles fired in train kil

They are real nice Biglou. How do you get the voids in the flashing? They look almost celular to me with the circles of bare clay and fluid fire traveling round.

Yes my name is Joel Edmondson :D How did you know that?

Evelyne like Guinea I am just as happy being called High Bridge or any other version of my forum name. It doesn't feel any less personal.

I understand your point of view Evelyne.  Using actual names, makes things more personal.  And since many of us here, have been communicating for months, or even years, I feel that many of us, are probably comfortable enough, to use real names.

Those, who choose to go by their forum names, that's fine.  I fully understand that as well.  A bit of anonymity is a nice safe guard.  The internet is a great tool, for the sharing of information and knowledge.  It's also full of (to steal a term from across The Pond) complete nutters.  It can be a bit too easy, for people to find a lot of information about you, through social media.  There is also the risk, that something you say, online, comes back to bite you.  I make it a point, to never say anything, online, I wouldn't stand by.  That doesn't mean, that someone wouldn't take it, and use it against you.

So, I can definitely see both sides.

In regards to myself, if you choose, you can save a couple microseconds of time, drop the last four letters of my username, and just call me "Ben".

After all these years I thought you name was taken from that Toxic now outlawed Benzine cleaning fluid once used in the printing industry-Now 

Its Ben?This blows my preconceived ideas all to heck

I say this all in jest as I try hard not to have preconceived ideas. 

As far as hiding behind my Mark C its for Mark Cortright (I;m not going to touch the Christian name thing with a 20 foot pole as It does not apply to me) but all thats clear when you go to web site which is mentioned on every post near bottom.

The best shield I have is a long winding road into my county-keeps about 99% of folks away

Ben as far a nut jobs I'm thinking we all are in that bag working with clay.

Mark

@Benzine, @Mark C.  To state the obvious, anonymity is not my strong suit here on the forum.  And I had never heard the term nutter used in reference to internet weirdo's...at least now I won't embarrass myself by thinking it has something to do with an individual's taste for flavored coffee.

I am on @Evelyne Schoenmann's side of the fence when it comes to getting to know people.  I have found that most will use their real, first names when sending private messages...at least after determining whether or not the other person is a nutter.

As others have already pointed out, adding comments to Gallery Images is such a rare occurrence, that might be a comfortable starting point to use one's first name....but I would err on the defense of people feeling comfortable online rather than insisting on real names.

-Paul

(Not a nutter)

Mark, you are actually part right, regarding my screen name.  It's one, I've been using in some form, since I started online many years ago.  When I was signing up for email, all the other forms of "Ben" were taken.  I don't like adding numbers after my username, to create an unclaimed form, so I cracked open a dictionary, and found words with "Ben" in them.  Benzine, or Benzene sounded nice, so that's what's been ever since.  

And ceramic artists/ artists in general are a different type of crazy, than that of the internet.  If you need proof of that, visit the comment section/ message board of pretty much, any other site besides this one.

Archived