Jen Ken Bead Annealer

jolieo

So I have a little bead annealer , 120 volt 10 amps on a pyrometer. It is older , abit of brick damage, a bit element wear. Very small. It has fiber paper stuck to bottom. One element coil. I think it goes to 2000•

I want to bisque in it and perhaps do low fire clay.

What do I do about the fiber paper?i don't want to damage digging it out. Am I pushing this little kiln too much if I use this way?

You can probably fire some small clay pendants or buttons. that might be fun. I have used an old enameling kiln to do this. Give it a try. Roll out some clay about a 1/8 - 3/16 inch thick, poke a hole close to the top and maybe stamp a pattern in it cut it to the shapes and size you want.

let it dry out good and paint the front with  low fire glaze and bring the temperture up.. slowly if you can...to where the glaze gets shiny. then let it cool.

If this works, also try raku!

• 7 months later...

Reviving this, so I want to bisque in this kilnIt is 11 inches across round by 4.5.inches high.It goes to 2000 degrees , has a built in pyrometer. How long will this take to get to 06, or bisque? I will not be able to pack it, unless I start making lots of tiny things ( I might).

I didn't buy the shelves n stuff for my bigger kiln because the temperatures were in the high nineties, very humid, extremely rainy. I didn't want to commit to opening the shed doors to fire, only to be eaten by mosquitoes while being poached au jus! And of course now we are so slow in town that I am spending savings to get by( so good thing I didn't ).

But I want to have my stuff bisqued at least, so I am going to use the glass kiln and slowly get everything bisqued. I need to schedule blocks of time to to do it, so how much time?

Also the original question- I will be using fiber paper- this has no shelf ( yet), hopefully the fiber paper is fine. Thanks for advice. I will take educated guesses if no one knows

Archived