Reasonable Fee For An Accountant?

I am looking for an accountant to help me with business taxes, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money.  I only make and sell pottery part time so my business is very small.  I thought last year I could figure out how to do my own taxes.  After all, I'm fairly intelligent and plenty of people seem to think it's no big deal.  That was a fiasco!  I really need some professional help (not just with the taxes after that mess).  What is a reasonable price I should expect to pay to get the business ones done?

I have been using the same accountant for 30+ years. She has a large establishment with 2 locations and several employees now. She charges by the complexity of the filing. We has many addition forms including one for my business..We prepare all the details for business and teaching, related travel. Our IRAs are separate.

It has varied a lot over the years.

So I guess it depends. Usually the most has been $300-400. We continue to use her even after moving from Montana to Texas where there is no state income tax.

Marcia

My tax returns cost about $500. For that fee I can call my accountant and ask questions for free throughout the year. When I first became self-employed, he set up my Quickbooks file and trained me how to use it, no charge. This might be an even more valuable service, because once you know how to keep records properly, the tax prep is not too bad.

My tax returns cost about $500. For that fee I can call my accountant and ask questions for free throughout the year. When I first became self-employed, he set up my Quickbooks file and trained me how to use it, no charge. This might be an even more valuable service, because once you know how to keep records properly, the tax prep is not too bad.

That would be great to have someone teach me the prep stuff.  I've taken a few accounting classes but I think all that did was confuse me more.  It seems like such a big fee to swallow when I'm doing so much prep work to start with.  That's 10% of my gross from last year.

How about using a business version of software like turbo tax-A potter firend uses that as he is pretty straight forward.You buy a new version every year-under 100$.

I would recommend doing this as its easy and cheap. 

The downside is you get no human input.

My account charges by the form and between my wife and her rental and job and my two business's it about $600.

Mark

it is important to shop around for an accountant you believe in.  i gave up on them in general when i was a single mother of two infants forced to live on the $200 a month my husband thought generous.  the first man said i would have to pay several hundred dollars. :blink: 

i did it myself and got a refund.  which i needed. ( wonder why)

Archived