Dealing With Allergies?

kmw

Is teaching hazards, part of the class?  In my class it is.  I talk about why we don't shake things off, that are covered in clay dust, and why we clean up "wet".  I talk about why we don't smoke, while handling glazes as well.  OK, maybe not that last one, but the topic has come up, when the more curious student actually reads the full label.  I can't say every teacher takes the time to do this, and no district has ever told me, that it's something that I have to do.  Said district, has assumed that the person they hired, to teach Art, would do so responsibly.  And I do everything I can, to reaffirm that assumption.  For me, it's the same as teaching students, the proper way to use the materials.  "Here's how we do and don't do something.  And here's why that is."

For my four year old, you do something, because I told you to.  For my high school students, it makes sense that I explain something beyond, "Because I said so."... To a certain extent.  Because sometimes the students act like four year olds...

One of my constant battles is reclaiming the vast amount of dried clay I inherited when I started teaching here (four 55 gallon drums, plus countless bags hidden here and there). My workstudy helper also has a sensitivity to mold, and she breaks out with little red splotches when moving the slaked slop to the plaster bats. She tried gloves but they didn't last, so the method that worked best for her was applying hand lotion up to her elbows. It seemed to lessen the reaction. Now her stern, strict, no nonsense faculty supervisor, who is really a big softy, makes sure the slop is drying on the bats before her working hours begin.

Archived