I just tried my new Orton AutoFire 3000 Single Zone. I Love it, so far. My first fire was a 3/4 load bisque ^04. I attached the controller to the wall where I could easy access. And in a position that allows the Kilns power cord to attach to it without touching the kiln. I have it attached to my Duncan 1029n ProPlus kiln as shown in the attached picture. I paid $658.00 from Big Ceramic Store online. 

I programmed it following the instructions in the user manual. I was really scared I would screw things up, but I baby sat it through the complete firing. And everything worked as programmed. I set it up the night before with a 12 hour delay start, so that I could be there in the morning when it started. It did. :)

But I have a few things to learn about it, since I never had an electronic kiln before. Well, it's still a manual kiln, but it's an electric one now too. So, I was wondering if anyone else has tried this unit and if so, I have some questions?

1. What a, Ramp?

2. What is the best rate speed to use for Bisque ^04? I used the slow setting for 2 hours with a 30 min.soak at ^04 and no rate at cool down. It took 14 hours. 3/4 full to finish.

3. What is the best rate speed for Glaze ^6? Full load. I will probably fire this Sunday or after jury duty. I hope I do not get picked. It's going to be a perfect weather week here in South Texas. Pray for me  :(

Well, as I said, so far I like it, but I am looking forward to many years of use. Heck, it saved me 2G's. So it's gotta be good. I will post a review after the glaze fire.

I am checking out for tonight, the Mrs. wants dinner and a movie.  :wub:

post-64410-0-20682700-1422068564_thumb.jpg

post-64410-0-94225000-1422068564_thumb.jpg

post-64410-0-20682700-1422068564_thumb.jpg

post-64410-0-94225000-1422068564_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark C.

The, Danger Hot, sign is made of aluminum wedged in a fire brick, very lightweight, that also covers the peep hole in the top during firing. I did not make the hole, it came like that when I bought it. The other one is a fire brick cut in half that I use to prop up the kiln lid during a warm up. The ceramic figure sitting there is my Kiln Dog. He guards the kiln from bad firings.  :)

OK

Put the wedge brick on control box top -move the dog to edge (must keep kiln gods happy) keep the hole covered with light weight soft brick.

Its just fgood practice to keep things off the middle of lids as they are weak there.

Enjoy the weather.

Mark

Ramp is either time to get from one temperature to another or set as degrees per hour.  You mentioned holding for 30 minutes at top temperature, this would mean you probably fired hotter than Cone 04.  Most bisque is at cone 06.  If you fire sculpture or heavy pieces slow bisque is okay otherwise I would use fast bisque and save 3 hours total time.  The Orton 3000 is a great controller and you should look into making your own programs

David.

Ramp is either time to get from one temperature to another or set as degrees per hour.  You mentioned holding for 30 minutes at top temperature, this would mean you probably fired hotter than Cone 04.  Most bisque is at cone 06.  If you fire sculpture or heavy pieces slow bisque is okay otherwise I would use fast bisque and save 3 hours total time.  The Orton 3000 is a great controller and you should look into making your own programs

David.

Thanks David, I did not know that a Hold meant a hotter temp. I thought it was to keep the temp steady at the finish cone before it started the cooling down process. I need to consider this. Thanks.

The longer you HOLD the more heat work occurs-hence the more a glaze melts

You can ramp up and ramp down -place holds etc. 

I do not have a computer kiln but do understand the concepts.

Read up on this to gain understanding of the process.

mark

The longer you HOLD the more heat work occurs-hence the more a glaze melts

You can ramp up and ramp down -place holds etc. 

I do not have a computer kiln but do understand the concepts.

Read up on this to gain understanding of the process.

mark

I got this from Skutt: http://skutt.com/potter/faqs/ So I will cut down my hold time, maybe to 10 min.

• 5 years later...

A long sculpture fire program would be 4 segments. Segment 1, ramp 100 to temp 215, hold 4 hrs, seg 2 ramp 100 to temp 350, hold 3 hrs, seg 3 ramp 160 to 500 hold 0, seg 4 ramp 160 to 1826 hold 0.  I use this for my high school students work which starts out as clunky and heavy. Bone dry thin work 4 segments. Seg 1 ramp 100 to 215 hold 2 hrs, seg 2 ramp 100 to 350 hold 1 hr, seg 3 ramp 180 to 500 hold 0, seg 4 ramp 200 to 1900 hold 0. Degrees in farenheit. 

Archived