(Un)Happy Accidents

I recently made a bowl and spent some time on it: squared, rolled and stamped the rim.  After breaking the rim twice, I finally just took it off and bisque fired a plain bowl.  A bit funky and uneven since I had messed around with it so much.  Then, the glaze tongs broke off a piece of the rim, so I broke off a piece from the other 3 sides so they would match, and sanded the edges a bit.  At this point I'm thinking, glaze tester, I can just use it at home.  (I actually don't have much of my own stuff at home.)  Then, someone walked by, looked at the pot and commented, "Oh, that's nice."

Ka-ching. (Sound of cash register).  I'll let you guys know if it sells.

I made this chameleon sculpture in college. As I was hollowing it out, it slipped and the base part of the rock collapsed. 
I actually like it better this way, it makes the rock look more rock-like. I've put a vine plant inside of it so the vines grow from the holes.

http://static.wixstatic.com/media/d69be6_a665c93b9373459fb941781fe3a78a1e.jpg_srz_p_675_506_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

I try to save everything I make, which I know I shouldn't, but I spend so long on each piece it's hard not to.  Usually if I mess something up now it evolves into another form.  I was throwing a big vase and I leaned over and knocked the rim.  I had to cut off a good 5 inches which would have come in at the top.  I could not get the remaining pot to narrow in at all so I left it, cut a hole in the bottom and now it's a large planter.

Whenever somebody asks the forum how to repair or save a piece, invariably, many people say toss it and make another.  I respect that and believe it to be good advice.  I, however, derive much pleasure from the challenge of resurrecting (nod to Isculpt) my mistakes.  Luckily, I have the time, and don't need to the money.  My resurrected bowl came out of the kiln quite cute and funky and I don't want to part with it!  Will try to post a picture soon.

I try to save everything I make, which I know I shouldn't, but I spend so long on each piece it's hard not to.  Usually if I mess something up now it evolves into another form.  I was throwing a big vase and I leaned over and knocked the rim.  I had to cut off a good 5 inches which would have come in at the top.  I could not get the remaining pot to narrow in at all so I left it, cut a hole in the bottom and now it's a large planter.

Altered rims are fun too and something I'm trying to improve on, even when I don't have to.

I totally had a happy accident, once! My reclaim clay is really ugly, since it's a mix of whiteware and terracotta--think band-aids of varying hues. Well, one time, I was guinea-brained and forgot to trim until the clay was too dry to put white slip on. So, as I was pressed for time, I just underglazed some critters right on the band-aid clay.

My paintings and shiny clear glaze did something miraculous with that stuff--it made it have the same effect as tan paper or parchment. The pieces turned out simply gorgeous!! I liked them even more than my whiteware stuff!

Yep, I've finally discovered a love of my reclaim. And the color is different each time, so it's a wonderful surprise! ^_^

Archived