Selling Online-How Many Contacts To Close The Deal-For Me Its 7

I have always thought it takes 6-8 e-mails to finish the deal.

I have just made a sale and sure enough I just counted 7 back and forth e-mails two phone calls and its a done deal.

The box is shipped and the payment was done on my smart phone with amazon reader.

hers how it seems to go always

1st contact via my web site-asking about specific mug colors and shipping costs-no zip code given (EVER) even though they always ask about shipping costs-this drives me crazy

2nd Me giving size of mug info and pricing info and asking for clarification.

3rd-price ok If I have to wait if you do not have all colors ok as well

4th I found the mugs here is a photo of them

5th-Great I'll take them here is where I live(address) telephone#

6th Here is the total cost with shipping now that I have the zip code I can run it thru my ups software.

6-A-she called I was on a walk missed call

7-I missed your call-I'll call you

7-A called got visa #-done deal

8- does not count but I emailed a note that it shipped and I put a sponge holder in as a gift

9 -Thanks for the gift super-see you in the fall-thanks for the pots for my sisters birthday.

So my average is 7 e-mails to move out pottery via the web-this is the norm for me  no matter if its a dinnerware set or a spoon rest and thats if the buyers are on it not space muffins-which I had recently (another story)

I do not try to sell on the web via my web site but sell to my existing customer base from shows (this customer above who bought some mugs) sees me every year at a show in her town. I have been going over 20 years now. I will see her in the fall again as well.So its really a continuation of the same same business.I end up shipping many boxes out via UPS every year to existing customers.My shipping costs this year where $1.200.00 so thats a fair amount of small boxes heading out.

If I tried to make a living doing this on the web I would drown myself within a a few months of jump in front of a whale.

Thats my story of net sales-its not pretty but I'm a nice guy up to a point with customers .

I really push art fair sales with some consign and some wholesale to round out the sales.

Hopefully somebody can make a sale in only 2 e-mails??

Ok this is off topic but mail related

Speaking of mail you ever get any junk mail?

I have found that if they pay the postage you can mail them a pet rock and they pay the bill -seems you never get any mail again from them after getting a pet rock

Heres a recent outgoing pet rock duct taped the letter to rock-weighed a ton-I love dropping these into a mail box-thunk

You can include watering and feeding instructions inside the envelope as well. This rock was born on the riverbed nearby.

Mark

post-8914-0-59697000-1421808184_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-59697000-1421808184_thumb.jpg

Space muffins?

I get what it means, I just think it's a fantastic turn of phrase :)

The rock is hilarious! One of the nice things about Canada Post is if you put some sort of notice on your mailbox to the effect that you don't want junk mail, they can't give you anything unaddressed. Addressed mail is more expensive so you get a lot less of it.

The number of emails sounds about right...I had to go look. The only additional email is the one I send to say something that your piece will arrive in a box that is much larger than you might expect...yes, that 8oz mug will arrive in a 14" x 14" box, but it should be in one piece, not multiples.

Do you send the UPS tracking number in your shipment notification email?

...I'm still a little fuzzy on the jumping in front of a whale part, that's hilarious :D

-Paul

I send the tracking # about 1/2 the time-a couple of small items I usually do not bother-a lot of stuff yes.

as to the jumping in front of whale its like jumping in front of a simi truck for most humans-I as a water person Ido not like the truck idea its the same concept.

Mark

Archived