Front Loading Kiln- Seeking Purchase Advice

Hello All,

I am seeking advice on front loading kilns. I would like to purchase one for my middle school art program. Have you used one? What is the durability like? Which designs features are better than others? I have single phase and a budget that allows for increasing the electrical amperage as well as a kiln. I fire around 50 times a year. This is a once in a career purchase and I want to get a legacy kiln for the next instructor's time here as well.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Sincerely,

mr.nelson

marshfield, wisconsin

Guest JBaymore

One of the best is the Fredrickson. Worth every penny. Beats the crap out of the typically under-powered and under-insulated hexagonals. If you have to fire electric, these are a good choice as far as environmental concerns and energy usage go. Also have natural cooling profiles that are closer to larger mass gas kilns.... which eliminates the wasteful procedure of firing down to get good glaze development. Built like a Mac truck.

http://www.sheffield...-KILNS-s/63.htm

best,

.............john

Stephen and John,

Thank you for your prompt reply. The ease of loading and the economy of space will be cherished. I do not have my students make standardized pottery/ceramics. So the front loader will help preserve the kiln walls and allow for fine tuning the loading step. I cringe each time the heavy selves dent the toploader. I am in my middle career teaching and am trying to purchase tools that will help my body last until retirement. I am lucky to have support here for the students and our shared artworks.

Thank you both for your thoughts and advice. It seems like they are excellent kilns. By the end of Feb I will need to submit my bids to the business office.

Any vendors to consider?

Again thank you in advance for your time and efforts.

mr.nelson

marshfield, wisconsin

John,

I explored the sheffield site. Thank you for the link. The kilns look rugged and well built. The 7 inch refractory bricks amazing! I will contact this company and ask about the ultimate height of the kiln. My janitor would like one on wheels so I will inquire about that as well. There is talk about a building referendum and I would like to take the new kiln along if we are moved.

mr.nelson

marshfield, wisconsin

Guest JBaymore

OK ... I am suffering great kiln envy!!

I would gladly ...no, gleefully, trade my two top loaders for a front loader.

All you need Chris is the appropriate sized stack of $1000 bills. wink.gif

best,

....................john

Archived