Hi- For my samples I use 3"x2" tiles.  I put a hole in the top and use shower curtain wire rings to hang them on a pipe (rod).  It's functional but the rings get all tangled. It's driving me nuts.  I don't have the wall room to hang a big board up to display them.  Anyone out there have a good solution? Thanks!

I don't know if it's a better solution, but what I do is take about a 3 foot length of nylon cord to string my tiles on. I put a large wire hook on one end and a large washer on the other. I can hang these up in two ways. I either simply put the hook through one of the shelf holes in my steel shelves, or I can put the wire hook through the washer and then hanging hook throw a shelf whole. it just depends on where I have space. I have several hundred such tiles decorating my studio.

All of my tiles are numbered and I take pictures of them which I store in a FileMaker database.

I use a board also, but as I started getting tired of gluing them everytime I got a new color, I now pile them on a shelf.  I keep the low fire and high fire seperate.  I like the idea of keeping them lose so I can lay out the different colors to see what goes best with what.

I use a board also, but as I started getting tired of gluing them everytime I got a new color, I now pile them on a shelf.  I keep the low fire and high fire seperate.  I like the idea of keeping them lose so I can lay out the different colors to see what goes best with what.

My tiles all hang on nails.

My tiles all hang on nails.

That's a good idea.  I've seen some put holes in them and put a rope through them.

My tiles hang on nails, around my glassio.  At the centre we strung them on string, but they bash around and if you drop one, they all break - guess how I know that?

The other thing is to make a plaque with a grid of samples - see thumbnail.....

post-59202-0-95248000-1422198217_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-31910400-1422198219_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-54619400-1422198220_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-34888900-1422198223_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-95248000-1422198217_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-31910400-1422198219_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-54619400-1422198220_thumb.jpg

post-59202-0-34888900-1422198223_thumb.jpg

In my classroom, my tiles hang on nails as well.  This allows the students, to take them off and hold them next to their projects, to get a nice visual of the potential glaze/ glaze combinations.

Chilly, that's a lovely, studio with a lot of great natural light.

Chilly, that's a lovely, studio with a lot of great natural light.

Thanks Benzine, trouble is it's too cold in winter and too hot in summer.  I'm becoming more of a "wake-up-early" person, so going to try and get out there more from the spring onwards while it's still cool.

Would you have room to attach a board to the end of a storage rack? Or would you have enough room to create a very short shelf on one of your racks where you could store boards holding tiles that you could slide out when you need to use them? I understand the frustration with lack of wall space!

saw a utube listed that promised to show how to extrude tiles.  the picture showing the name showed an L shape die.  i can imagine it from there with a roulette putting texture on all of them at once, holes punched, cuts made and a huge pile of test tiles ready to go.  sure faster than throwing a ring on the wheel.  got distracted by all the other utubes and lost track of it.

saw a utube listed that promised to show how to extrude tiles.  the picture showing the name showed an L shape die.  i can imagine it from there with a roulette putting texture on all of them at once, holes punched, cuts made and a huge pile of test tiles ready to go.  sure faster than throwing a ring on the wheel.  got distracted by all the other utubes and lost track of it.

There was a "Glaze Calc" class going on the same semester, I took Ceramics in college.  It involved formulating clay bodies and glazes.  I wish I would have had the foresight to take it.  Buuuut, anyway, the students in the class, spent hours throwing short cylinders, just to cut them into pieces, so they could use them as test tiles.  The moment that someone thought to run down to the sculpture studio, and use their tools to make an L-shaped dye, was like the creation of the wheel to them.

Archived