• Announcements

• Jennifer Harnetty

Moderators needed!   12/08/2017

Ceramic Arts Network is looking for two new forum moderators for the Clay and Glaze Chemistry and Equipment Use and Repair sections of the Ceramic Arts Network Community Forum. We are looking for somebody who is an active participant (i.e. somebody who participates on a daily basis, or near daily) on the forum. Moderators must be willing to monitor the forum on a daily basis to remove spam, make sure members are adhering to the Forum Terms of Use, and make sure posts are in the appropriate categories. In addition to moderating their primary sections, Moderators must work as a team with other moderators to monitor the areas of the forum that do not have dedicated moderators (Educational Approaches and Resources, Aesthetic Approaches and Philosophy, etc.). Moderators must have a solid understanding of the area of the forum they are going to moderate (i.e. the Clay and Glaze Chemistry moderator must be somebody who mixes, tests, and has a decent understanding of materials). Moderators must be diplomatic communicators, be receptive to others’ ideas, and be able to see things from multiple perspectives. This is a volunteer position that comes with an honorary annual ICAN Gold membership. If you are interested, please send an email outlining your experience and qualifications to jharnetty@ceramics.org.
Sign in to follow this  
Natas Setiabudhi

Ceramic Fiber Body

Hai every body miss you all  :)

I just join again to this forum, maybe over than 1 year. I have something to ask you about ceramic fiber body. I have read that ceramic fiber can be added to clay for making translucency. Is it true?

Thank you.....  

Guest JBaymore

No... not true to my knowledge.  And I've "been around the block" on ceramic's tech side and also on the kiln refractories side of life.  The materials is very refractory.... and translucency is about the formation of large amounts of glassy phase in a body.

The fiber blankets themselves let light through to a degree...... due to the air spaces...... and refraction around the tiny fibers but that is not translucency as typically looked at.

Secondarily...... and FAR more importantly.......

Refractory Ceramic Fiber (RCF) is classified as a human carcinogen in the European Union... and "suspect" in the west.  The dust from this stuff should be considered basically like asbestos dust.

Look up the MSDSs for the materials.

There are some new forms that are being touted by the industry as "safe" or "safer".  One must remember that many industries do this kind of thing to get around studies that find a single product hazardous.  The new product has not had time yet to be studied in practical usage... so it is ASSUMED to be safe... because there is no data (yet) to prove it is NOT safe.

And the fibers are VERY irritating on skin contact.

So the last thing you want to do is add it to a clay body.

best,

........................john

Ceramic fiber is spun Kaolin clay: like fiberglass but much more toxic.

Paper fiber is just that: paper: easily made by putting a roll of toilet paper in a small bucket of water:

As Colby said above, the paper does not make it more translucent, but what it does is give you the ability to make super thin slabs : hence you can make more translucent objects.

The clay is not more translucent but a thinner wall will pass a lot more light than a thicker wall !

Natas Setiabudhi likes this