Sign in to follow this  
Natas Setiabudhi

Ceramic Fiber Body

Hai every body miss you all  :)

I just join again to this forum, maybe over than 1 year. I have something to ask you about ceramic fiber body. I have read that ceramic fiber can be added to clay for making translucency. Is it true?

Thank you.....  

Guest JBaymore

No... not true to my knowledge.  And I've "been around the block" on ceramic's tech side and also on the kiln refractories side of life.  The materials is very refractory.... and translucency is about the formation of large amounts of glassy phase in a body.

The fiber blankets themselves let light through to a degree...... due to the air spaces...... and refraction around the tiny fibers but that is not translucency as typically looked at.

Secondarily...... and FAR more importantly.......

Refractory Ceramic Fiber (RCF) is classified as a human carcinogen in the European Union... and "suspect" in the west.  The dust from this stuff should be considered basically like asbestos dust.

Look up the MSDSs for the materials.

There are some new forms that are being touted by the industry as "safe" or "safer".  One must remember that many industries do this kind of thing to get around studies that find a single product hazardous.  The new product has not had time yet to be studied in practical usage... so it is ASSUMED to be safe... because there is no data (yet) to prove it is NOT safe.

And the fibers are VERY irritating on skin contact.

So the last thing you want to do is add it to a clay body.

best,

........................john

Thank you for replying..

Because I've seen in internet, someone making very thin body but hard, maybe 3 millimeter. The size about 70x70cm.

But I must make sure if I was mistaken.

Thank you for information about hazardous of this material.

Ceramic fiber is spun Kaolin clay: like fiberglass but much more toxic.

Paper fiber is just that: paper: easily made by putting a roll of toilet paper in a small bucket of water:

As Colby said above, the paper does not make it more translucent, but what it does is give you the ability to make super thin slabs : hence you can make more translucent objects.

The clay is not more translucent but a thinner wall will pass a lot more light than a thicker wall !